Need a quick response guys.. New concrete on top of old.

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 15:47:03 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Oh good, it's not just me....
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 10:01:12 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid wrote

I don't know about the glue, but a common "trick" is to dust the slab with some latex modified thinset (HD versabond).
-Bruce
I would not use a wood glue like Titebond. At best it would do nothing. At worst, it would prevent the concrete from sticking.
When I repaired my concrete patio, I used a special adhesive intended for concrete. It was inexpensive and was sold at the local home center near where they keep concrete patch.
I am a firm believer in using the right tool (or in this case, adhesive) for the job.

I'd say you're partly right.
if this was a job for hire, or something that was going to be inspected, or something built to any kind of specifications, I'd say go with new concrete bonder from the contractor's supply store (or whatever the plans specify).
the OP wasn't doing a job like that. he was laying a light duty slab over some old, worn concrete and happened to have a jug of titebond around. the rough concrete he's going over will provide pretty good tooth to begin with.
now, having used bunches of adhesives in the white glue/concrete bonder/yellow glue class, it's obvious that they are all variations on the PVA chemistry. I suspect that latex paint isn't too far different either. my understanding is that the main differences between white and yellow glues is yellow glue has less open time and more cured water resistance than white glue. concrete bonder seems more like white glue, although in some brands there is an extra smell I can't identify. it's a relatively cheap product and not marketed for the crafts market, so the smell may just be something that was removed from the higher priced white glue to make it palatable for the housewife/ kindergarten market. the smell may OTOH be something needed for concrete bonder to perform well as concrete bonder. I don't know.
just guessing, I'd say that the OP's yellow glue will do just fine as bonder for his application.

snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid wrote:

glue. Its purpose in life is to add a bit of bonding strength between old concrete and fresh pour. I've used a brand called Pakmix, IIRC.     mahalo,     jo4hn

It seems that some of the know-it-all types who really don't know much have to act like idiots when you don't take their advice. My question was simple enough. Would throwing in some old Titebond help or hurt. I already knew from experience that plain old white glue is a pretty good bonding agent but I wasn't sure about TiteBond. Well the job is done and I got rid of some 18 month old TiteBond at the same time. Checked this morning and the bond is still holding.<g> Now to build the bear proof unit for the garbage cans.
I would like to thank all the guys who actually responded to my question.
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:28:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid

And oddly enough, some of us who have seen how you respond to people who spent time trying to give you advice, won't bother to spend any time answering you in the future. Just because you don't like the answer, doesn't mean you have to call them idiots - keep it up and you'll find yourself talking, but nobody listening.

Dave, have you tried foreplay. Maybe if you did your wife would want to have sex more often with you if you did. I know you didn't ask for this advice but I thought I would offer it anyway.<g>
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:46:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid

Yawn. Well, as long as you _know_ that you're being perceived as an obnoxios person not worth trying to help, my work here is done. Bye, WayneKelly, I'll waste no more time with you.
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:46:33 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Precisely.
_He_ didn't _ask_ for advice on that topic. You did ask for advice on laying concrete.....
So you have given unsought advice. You seem unhappy with sought advice that went against what you wanted to hear.

ADHD sufferer are ya Nick? Vision problems? Lacking in reading skills? English not your first language? Alzheimers?
Or are you just dumb as a sack of hammers?
Mon, Jul 12, 2004, 3:28pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid who now tells us: <dnip> Now to build the bear proof unit for the garbage cans. <dnip> Bearproof? Did I miss the part about Yogi and Boo Boo? Has the Ranger been notified? Or were they just not important enough to mention? Anything else not mentioned? Grendle maybe?
Making a success of the job at hand is the best step toward the kind you want. - Bernard M. Baruch More likely, your boss gets a raise and/or promotion, from getting credit for your work. - JOAT
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 15:10:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Would this have made a difference in your choice of adhesive.

We have one extremely overworked 'ranger' for a huge area. He has no sympathy for people who let bears get into their garbage.

Well I forgot to mention that I'm left handed. Is there a left handed glue I should have used? My wife is blonde. Is there a blonde glue?<g>

June in our community. They will be back in the fall for an encore. I put up a new shop and ripped down the old one. I used to keep the cans in the old shop. So a nice 5x4 storage unit was the ideal solution. I'm making it flat on the top so it can be used as a outside workbench as well. The old sidewalk used to run across the area where my new shop sits but was cut off right at the outside wall. That's where I poured the slab. I was going to put a wood floor down on top of the sidewalk instead of concrete but you know the rest of the story. 20 hours now and the concrete is still holding.<g>
Mon, Jul 12, 2004, 8:18pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid finally tells a lot that was left out: Would this have made a difference <snip> but you know the rest of the story.
Duh, do you think?
Making a success of the job at hand is the best step toward the kind you want. - Bernard M. Baruch More likely, your boss gets a raise and/or promotion, from getting credit for your work. - JOAT
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:26:33 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Mon, Jul 12, 2004, 9:36pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@address.invalid burbled: Does it matter? Only to the anal retentive types.
ROTFLMAO Be sure to post a link with pictures when it's finished. And, then post a follow-up in a few months.
Making a success of the job at hand is the best step toward the kind you want. - Bernard M. Baruch More likely, your boss gets a raise and/or promotion, from getting credit for your work. - JOAT
Tue, Jul 13, 2004, 9:57pm snipped-for-privacy@sjdfhgskfdhgk.com (Jules) waves and says: Hi dave!!! <snip>
LMAO I've considered that, but there's always the capitilization, punctuation, and grammer to think about.
JOAT
We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience. - Nanny Ogg