Nasa Study the demise of civilisation...

Doug Winterburn

From the link: It finds that according to the historical record even advanced, complex civ ilisations are susceptible to collapse, raising questions about the sustain ability of modern civilisation:

"The fall of the Roman Empire, and the equally (if not more) advanced Han, Mauryan, and Gupta Empires, as well as so many advanced Mesopotamian Empire s, are all testimony to the fact that advanced, sophisticated, complex, and creative civilizations can be both fragile and impermanent."

It wasn't the average people or industry, of those civilizations, that caus ed the demises, but the currupt and idiot leaders that was the root cause o f the direction the societies were led into, .... just as our idiot leaders are doing today? People, as a whole, can usually manage their own systems , in coordination with themselves. Ignorant (and greedy) leadership is wha t causes the problems.

But no worry. According to other armchair experts, a big-ass meteorite wil l do in today's civilization(s), before our esteemed leaders do.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

This must be NASA's new role. At one time they were heavily involved in Research projects that created jobs in this country and put Man on the moon, and a Space Station in orbit.

Today NASA is mouthing the administrations propaganda line, we no longer have a space program, and the space station has been given to the Russians.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Propaganda plus out of money.

BTW - not to sound like the newsgroup police but "OT" on these would be nice. When you look at other groups the woodworkers are pretty good about keeping the group tidy. Too much unlabeled off topic and we will start looking lit rec.outdoors-rv-travel.

Reply to
sphs.class64

Time for NASA go away.

Reply to
krw

Or worse, the bizarre wackos that leak over onto rec.crafts.metalworking from the political wacko groups.

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

If civilization is going to collapse more incentive to get on the first Mars mission.

Reply to
Markem

In looking at referenced articles, KPMG predicts 15 years it will all collapse. Funny how an accounting firm is pointing out the wealth difference as an object to be rectified.

While I believe that all hell will break loose shortly, I wasn't thinking the collapse of all civilisations, but, that might be the result of the next collapse.

Arm yourselves, and start stocking food... lol... The reality is, I'm not sure I want to live in a world that will totally void of civility and have lots of mayhem.

Living off the land might be an option, but I think there will be so many people that raid your crops, you won't have enough ammo.

Well, enough of that, we all know that the current model is not working and something big is coming. Those that think it will self correct are not paying attention to all the markers. This country is in such debt that it is not self sustaining. Greece , Spain are minor compared to our collapse... And look at the riots that happened there.

Reply to
woodchucker

Why? Do you believe you'll be safer, cut off from Earth? Or perhaps that the first Mars mission will somehow be self-sustaining?

Stock ammo, instead of food. Trade it for food. It will be the new gold.

Reply to
krw

If there was a collapse of that magnitude, and I had a supply of ammunition large enough to use for currency, I don't think I'd want to advertise that fact by using it for currency. If it became common knowledge that I was sitting on a huge ammo dump, that might make me an even bigger target for marauding gangs.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Would you advertise that you had a few tons of gold in your basement, now?

If there is a collapse large enough that you'd have to stockpile that much food, might just as well hang it up anyway. You *will* need the ammo in either case.

Reply to
krw

I don't dispute that under such a scenario a survivor would need a substantial ammo supply. I'm just questioning the wisdom of advertising that fact. You'd probably be better off gathering together a group of like-minded people you could trust, pool your resources, and work together for your mutual protection and survival. Maybe then the group could use ammo for trade. But I thing an individual trying the same thing would wind up screwing himself.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Sure, but the same thing goes for food. Ammo is easier to hide and lasts longer.

...not that I'm counting on doing either.

Reply to
krw

You'll only need one bullet actually. ~ the one to blow your brains out when you finally realize that you've got nothing left to live for.

Reply to
none

Of course you are. Discussing the end of society as we know it. You're the most negative person I've ever seen. It's truly a wonder you haven't offed yourself by now.

Reply to
none

It is a joke son

Reply to
Markem

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 05:59:32 -0500, Markem

krw doesn't joke. He is completely bereft of any sense of humour.

Reply to
none

Once again you insist on proving that not only are you a liar AND the dumbest person in the group, but you're proud of it.

Reply to
krw

If you had even one brain cell, you would have already figured that out, knownothing.

Reply to
krw