Nail size recommendations

Having just purchased a 18ga brad and 15ga finish nailer, I was wondering what nail sizes folks here find they use most often. I realize that this is usually determined by the project you are working on, but I figured some sizes may cover more needs than others. I'd like to grab a couple of sizes to have on hand rather than run to the store each time I need them, save for a project that might require a specific size. I'd probably be using it for trim work and the occasional "birdhouse" type projects. With the cost of nails I'd hate to pick a size I'd rarely need, and thought there might be a size or two that covers a good range of situations. Hearing what sizes others might have picked up but never used would be nice to hear too. Thanks for any advice.
Hyde

As you say, it is very much project orientated, however I find I am often using 1" and 2" nails fairly regularly. I do shoot 5/8" brads quite often for pinning of shop jigs and smaller item work.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Veritas Jointer Blade Sharpener - Miller Dowel System - Robert Sorby Woodturning Chisels - Kwikstand Portable Table Saw Stand - Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks all for your input, it's very much appreciated. Looks like my choices were going to be right in line with what most have said. Have a great day !
Hyde
Not a recommendation, but what I use: BN, most sizes up to 1" - FN, most sizes between 1 and 2", with 1 1/2" the most used.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

I have only used mine for trim, bought 2" and 1-1/2. Greg
I keep 4 sizes. for the brad nailer I have 5/8" and 1". For the finish nailer, I have 1-1/4" and 1-3/4". Fortunately the brad nails are dirt cheap in comparison to finish nails.
Are you sure you spelled your name correctly ?????
-- mike hide

wrote :

No, but at least I've avoided any copyright infringement. ; )
The 18ga brads are cheap enough in the 1000pc packages that I bought every size. Once I found out what size I use most, I then bought that size in the 5000pc packs. BTW the PC BN200 will shoot the 5/8" brads just fine even tho PC only advertises 3/4" to 2".
No experience with the 15ga but I'd guess that a similar approach would work.
Art

I picked 4-5 different length brads for mine for the same reason and have not been sorry. It'll take a long time to use them so what the heck. They take up very little room. Most often I'm using 1" to 1".