Nail gun question

Having stayed with cabinetry and furniture building for most of my years, I haven't had much exposure to general carpentry types of work. I am planning a shed beside my house to get all the non-woodworking stuff out of my garage once and for all. Luckilly my brother in law is a superintendant for a construction company and is helping me out. I'm so used to a smaller scale that when I pick up a 16d nail, it feels like a railroad spike in my hand.
As always I'm looking for a 'requirement' for a new tool that I just 'must have' to do this job and I thought a nail gun that would shoot these nails for constructing my shed might be just the ticket. Working with only brad guns and staplers in the past, I really don't kow what I'm looking for. A quick trip to the catalogs shows me nothing about the equivalent of a 16d nail.
I'm guessing that the gun for these nails won't shoot much of anything else (e.g. smaller, headed nails or finish nails). Is that a good assumption ?
What am I looking for ?
jim bailey

Yes. They'll typically shoot from 8d to 16d.
You have a choice of clip-head vs. round head. IMHO, the only advantage to clipped head is more nails to the stick. Many building codes disallow clipped head (especially in active seismic regions).

PC FR350 or Senco.
scott
FR350: Uses 22 degree 2" to 3 1/2" x .113" to .148" plastic collated round-head framing nails. Typically most framing work can be handled with 3" bright,smooth nails, about $25 per box of 4000. The 2" or 2-3/8" nails can be used for attaching decking to rafters and siding/plywood to studs. I typically get the 2-3/8" in a ring shank or screw shank format for a bit better holding. Even the .113 nails are quite a bit larger than 15 ga. finish nails and the head will still show.
On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 23:39:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

I second the Porter Cable. I have one that I love. I actually have 3 PC nailers; a brad nailer, finish nailer and the framing nailer. I have had nothing but good luck with PC air tools.
--
Dennis W. Ewing Sr
210/653-1276

Senco: The New FramePro 702XP Full Round Head nailer is designed with the Pro in mind. XtremePro models have improved internal and external features for improved durability and comfort, and more than enough power to drive the wide range of full round head nails, even common nails and an in-line magazine all backed by a two-year warranty that makes the XP series the choice of Pros.
FramePro 702XP nailer drives 2"3-1/2" smooth shank nails (Sencote or plain) and 2"3" ring shank nails. Shank diameters include .113, .120, .131 and .148.
...it is a true joy to use this tool. If you get one you'll be very pleased.
--
Doors - Locks - Weatherstripping
POB 250121 Atlanta GA 30325

You might consider a palm nailer. I use an 18 ga. and a 16 ga. for light work ,but have found my palm nailer good for nailing from 1/2 " to 8" nails.                                                   Greg
The palm nailer will slowly work. However, it's awkward to hold a board in place and nail it with a palm nailer, even with the magnetic tip.