My sears radial arm saw motor won't turn over when I turn it on.

I replaced the capacitor but like before the motor just hums and then trips the circuit breaker. What else could it be. It did this earlier and I cleaned off the contacts on the original capacitor and it worked for a while. After it stopped working again I presumed it was a bad capacitor so I replaced it only to find that there must be another problem. When I turn the shaft by hand there seems to be a drag, it doesn"t turn freely. Is there possibly something connected with the brake that is not releasing??????
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 02:51:25 +0000, Jerry

Sounds like the brushes to me.
wrote in message
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 02:51:25 +0000, Jerry

Sounds like the brushes to me.
------
Usually no brushes on a cap start motor.
If it is a cap run ???
If it is a cap start look for a centrifugal switch contact to cut off the start cap. Sawdust and sparking in dust burn it out. Some used a current sensor to cut off the cap. After the RPMs get up the lower current drops out the contact to the cap. Remove the end bell of the motor . Make sure to scratch alignment marks in both end bells across the main housing first.
--

mike

I don't think the Searz RAS uses a universal motor, hence no brushes. Having had a PowrKraft (Montgomery Ward) RAS, and now a Searz RAS, the decrease in noise level is the second clue. The capacitor on the OP's RAS is the first clue.
"Doug Winterburn" wrote:

Could very well be the centrifugal switch that removes the start capacitor from the circuit once the motor is running.
If so, it is a total PITA to replace since you have to open up the motor.
Lew

Lew may very well be correct.
I had a similar problem with my Sears RAS last year.
It turns out that the motor was LOADED with about a pound and a half of very fine sawdust. The sheer volume was preventing the the centrifugal switch from doing its' job. It wasn't broken, it just wouldn't switch from start to run because it was packed almost full with the dust.
The solution that worked for me was to remove the motor from the arm, open it up, vacuum what I could, and then blow the living hell out of it with compressed air. The last part I would recommend be done outside if your airline is long enough ;-)
Lew is also correct, it is a PITA to take it of and get to the insides, but in the end, it was worth it. Purrs like a kitten once more.
Joe
PS
Another possible solution is Craig's list. Sears' RAS sell anywhere from $75 to $150 in my area (SE Pennsylvania). It would be a cheap source for a replacement motor if I needed one.
On 7/19/2013 7:24 AM, Just Another Joe wrote:

I also had a Sears Table Saw motor that the solution to the non start was a thorough internal cleaning. They are fairly simple to disassemble.
As part of the cleanup with each use all openings on the motor gets vacuumed.
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 02:51:25 +0000, Jerry

Could also be a bad bearing giving the drag.

With all these maybe wrong possibilities, sound like it would be easier just to take the motor in and have it rebuilt.