sealer effect on glue surfaces

I usually use sanding sealer on red oak surfaces to seal the pores before staining/finishing but after assembly. I have an application that I would like to seal BEFORE assembly. Must I keep sealer off of subsequent glue surfaces?

Reply to
Gary Kunstmann

I don't know if you MUST but you would be better off doing so. Not hard to do with masking tape.

Glue sort of sinks into a porous surface - like wood - and bonds those fibers with the mating surface into which the glue also sinks. If it cant't sink in, it is bonding on whatever is preventing the absorption.

When I am prefinishing something that is going to beglued, i extend the finish slightly onto the surfaces that will be glued leaving most of those areas bare; that way there is plenty of raw wood but the finish extends slightly into the joint.

Reply to
dadiOH

Most important information is left off, so no one will be able to answer correctly for your specific situation.

What kind of glue?

For most wood glues, the answer would be "yes" ... leave the "sanding sealer" (normally a shellac based product) off the glue surfaces if you want to the glue to be effective.

Reply to
Swingman