Must...not...buy...tools.

No, you couldn't possibly be more wrong. My post a JOKE! You of all people I thought would recognize that.

And for the record, I Googled nothing. I've played every one of the pianos named. I'm torn between the power of the NY Steinway and the nuance of the Hamburg. Different pieces play better on different pianos. And when budget/living space permit, I'll have a NY Model B.

Reply to
wood_newbie

I'm stunned, *STUNNED* do you hear me, that no-one has mentioned Fazioli yet.

Humph.

David, who when the piano moved out filled the spoace with an upright bass...

Reply to
David O'Heare

That's the one super-high-ender I've never played. Sure does have a following, though.

Tough to find here in the States. I take it you like? What's the sound/action like compared to the others?

Reply to
wood_newbie

Sorry.. you caught me between Coffee #1 and Coffee #2. YES!.. I do see the wry tongue-in-cheek now... my apologies.

But look what you started...lol.. Fazioli???? I know very little about pianos. I was blown away by Tori Amos doing her thing with a Bosendorfer and immediately noticed the awesome power of the instrument. I had been exposed to the beauty of the craftsmanship before at a Swiss hotel and it left quite an impression on me as a kid.

Reply to
Robatoy

It's like they say in the NBA...no autopsy, no foul.

A lot of the power from that Bosendorfer, depending on the size/model, could have come from the fact that they have several "extra" keys on the bass end...instead of the normal 88 keys, they have 90-some-odd. Supposed to give the instrument extra resonance.

Truly an awesome instrument.

Periodically, when I want to see what the high-water mark of woodworking is, I look inside my piano at the action. Talk about precision. And mine's a POS compared to the afore-mentioned models...

p.s. For the record, I wrote my original post before I even had coffee # 1...re-reading it under the sunny haze of Starbucks # 3, I can see where it could easily have been mistaken as serious...my bad. Lesson learned...NEVER post to the wreck until I'm at least partway through coffee # 2.

Reply to
wood_newbie

Just watch Norm on TV. His workshop and tools would challenge Bill Gate's budget but my cable TV bill is only $55 per month.

Reply to
warbler

Indeed. Here's a shot of one somewhat like the one I couldn't be torn away from.

Robatoy

Hey, _I_ saw the humor. It was a spot on parody of any of five hundred threads I've read in this forum over the past year.

Bill

Reply to
mcnutt

Sorry, I've never even seen one in the flesh, as it were. Heck, I'm not even a piano player.

Taking things further away from the OP, I did play a stunning parlor-sized guitar last week. Built by Oskar Graf in Clarendon, ON, it was *wonderful*. It was also worth on the order of $7000, I think. And worth it.

Dave O'Heare

Reply to
David O'Heare

Actually Norm's tools are towards the low end. Hang around the Felder forum on Yahoo for a while.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

For what it's worth, a lot of my unreasonable tool addiction impulses come from the fact that I simply don't have _time_ to do much woodworking these days, and buying a tool is still doing something that's related to woodworking. This is, luckily, tempered by the fact that I also have no space to put things.

(Actually, the last few months, I've made a bit of time for woodworking by completely taking a break from spending time on one of my other hobbies. The result is that I've spent notably more on stuff for the other hobby than I have on woodworking tools.)

Thing is, I'm pretty sure that even with skill and knowledge, this "true necessity" of which you speak can still lead to a few thousand dollars of good woodworking tools. Sure, I could joint the edge of the hard oak barn boards I've been working with by hand with a plane, but doing it on a jointer takes substantially less time. And, what with the lack of time I was talking about above, that's worth a fair bit.

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses

So why are you saying "must ... not ... buy ... tools" about the router? Your desire to buy it doesn't sound like the "unreasonable tool addiction" Joe was talking about.

Story, perhaps with a moral: I bought a handsaw and miter guide at an antique store, because I'd been wanting one for a while and this one was a quite nice one, and also kinda because the seller talked me into it and convinced me I was getting a deal. (My wife was a bit upset with me because she thought I was making an impulse buy and that I'd been had.) And I got home, and at some point was looking around online for similar things, and discovered that the updated version of the one I bought was practically identical and just as good, and sells, new, for $20 less than what I paid for mine.

And so I learned something. Specifically, I learned what it feels like when someone's talking me into an overpriced deal on something that I sort of want but don't really need. If I can recognize that next time somebody tries it, that's probably worth well more than the twenty dollars.

Routers are, as such things go, not all that expensive and they don't take up too much space. Maybe in this case it's worth the learning experience even if you don't end up using it much.... :)

- Brooks

Reply to
Brooks Moses