Moved a ton of Lumber today w/pics...

I went to an auction on Saturday and bought a little bit of ash. The auction listed it as 500 BF of 10-12' 8/4 ash. I couldn't take it home on Saturday because it was at the back of a barn behind other piles of lumber. My little Ford Ranger was in for service today so I borrowed a 4x4 5.4l F150. I don't know what the truck is rated for, but I am sure I had over 2000 lbs of Ash in it today. Hand loading that by myself was quite laborious, thankfully my Dad was at the other end to help me unload. I think there is more than 650 BF in the pile. I am not used to driving a full size pickup, and driving one loaded to the gills was quite a challenge. It was dancing with a fat chick, every little bit of motion in the steering wheel caused the truck to jiggle from side to side as it settled out. I was leading a parade for 150 KM on a back highway as I actually drove the speed limit (80KPH).
http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/ash1.jpg
http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/ash3.jpg
http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/ash5.jpg
http://www.federatedtool.com/david/img/ash6.jpg
All in all, I think it was worth the effort for 650 BF of 8/4 White Ash at $0.57 CDN (about $0.46 US) a BF.
David.
David F. Eisan wrote:

LOL!
Congrats. "You Suck."
-- Mark
That's a score. I know what you mean about moving lumber. We used to haul a unit of hardwood ply, (33 sheets) and it was heavy. I also had to bring all of my lumber home from the wood shop to store at home. I think it was 500 BF or so of exotics. It took me all morning. max

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:31:09 -0500, "David F. Eisan"

ya know, David you Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really Really SUCK.
I believe the Amish response is Thou Sucketh.
charlie b
(I see a serious woodworkers bench in your future)
charlie b
Charlie,

That, and a nice new kitchen table for my helper...
David.

*THAT* is easy to answer. a '150' is rated for 3/4 ton -- 1500 lbs. An F250 gets you another thousand pounds of capacity.

lessee. 500 bd ft is 41 2/3 cu ft. 650 bd ft is 54 1/6 cu ft At an arbitrary specific gravity of .75 , it's going weigh 46.8 lbs/cu ft. 500 bd ft comes in at 1950 lbs, 650 bd ft at 2535 lbs.
Yeah, that would have been an uncomfortable ride on a 1500 lb-rated suspension.

*GRIN*
That's the kind of pricing where people are prone to ask "did you use a gun?"
Robert,

See, that's what I thought. I asked for an F250. I don't like it when guys tell me my business at work, so I didn't want to tell them theirs. Guess I should have.

Ayup.
Nope, and there was lots of it, maybe 4000-5000 BF, but I only have so much storage.
David.
snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote in message wrote:

On the one hand, let me say that you SUCK. On the other hand, remind to NEVER lend you my truck. ;)
Dave Hall
David Hall wrote:

Whoa! Don't know where you got those ratings for a 150 and 250, but they are not true. The ratings for 150's and 250's vary all over the place. You have to look at a weight rating book for various cab engine and drive ratings. Some 150s are rated as high as 2700 pounds, much higher than most 250's. but some 250's are rated at over 3300 pounds.
Granted that the pickup in question was was way over capacity, the main problem was that the rear wheels were carrying all of the weight of the wood plus way over half of the weight of the truck. One wonders why the rear tires didn't blow out, or the axle break. The OP might feel a gentle tingle when he looks at the sidewalls to check the maximum weight rating of each tire or the weight rating of the rear axle and compares that against the estimated load plus slightly more than 1/2 of the empty truck weight.
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:31:09 -0500, "David F. Eisan"

Nuttin' like haulin' ash...
BTW, you suck. <G>
Barry
Very nice haul David.

Um yeah you had about twice its capicity loaded.
Hand loading that by myself was quite laborious, thankfully my

Uh huh, thats because you had over loaded the truck. Steering geometery goes all to heck when the rear end starts to lift the front end up a bit and I suspect your tires were not properly inflated for that much weight.

I suspect your tires were not properly inflated for that much weight.
But does that really matter Leon? Go ahead you want to say it "he sucks"!
--
Rumpty

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:31:09 -0500, "David F. Eisan"

We'll start calling you Papa Wheelie if you don't stop that, Davie. Was that you we saw in another vehicle in the Borg parking lot with that load of ply? Or that truck in Russia? Or the donkey cart in Malaysia? You really get around, dude.

Down here, if you have more than half a dozen cars behind you, you're obliged to pull over and let them pass, speed limit or not.

You suck. That's nice looking wood and nice thick stock. Whatcha gonna build with it? Didja see my mahogany stash I got last month? www.diversify.com/wood (Scroll to the bottom) I'll add my carving bench pics there once I get the final details done. All that's left (after just 2+ short years of planning) is to finalize the pivot stops for the top, plus mount the release levers.
P.S: Did you ever get that kitchen painted. <gd&r>
--
The older I get, the better I was.
David F. Eisan wrote:

David F. Eisan wrote:

Nice, got a pallet here I'd love to get home, but at 2.5 x 3.5 metres and .5 thick, made from 4x6 and 4x8 softwood, trouble is the weight....let alone the size!