Mother of Pearl Inlay?

What adhesive is usually used to glue mother of pearl inlay in with. I need to repair a chair that has been f**ked up by someone else repairing it and need to clean and repair it properly
pics posted to ABPW
--

Never Forget
http://www.gunstuff.com/america-attacked.html

Any idea how old this chair is?
I'm guessing, most likely hide glue or some other animal glue.
cover the spot with a very hot, damp rag and see if the mother-of -pearl turns loose.
basilisk
In

I have no idea how old it is. I'm more worried about cleaning the old glue out, it looks pretty screwed up from what I can tell from the pics Hide glue is what I was thinking too, but wasn't sure since I've never done any inlay Thanks
Not sure what would have been used but I would use epoxy today. Disimilar materials can be hard to glue.
Also, use good dust protection as moter of pearl is very toxic to breath dust. Most people sand it under water.

Usually?.... Don't go there. Probably whatever is nearest.
For good work, this should be hide glue. It's also fussy, and some workers had their own favoured formulations. The problem is differential expansion with heat or moisture changes. For that reason I wouldn't use hide, I'd use rabbit skin (same suppliers, widely used for bookbinding) because it's much more flexible. Some also use fish glue because it has better tack and hold onto awkward materials like shell (this can depend on the roughness of the back surface).
Epoxy is also used on modern work, takes a colour for gap filling and fills nicely. I'd probably use it on modern work, but not for repairs.
Victorian inlay, especially with brass, often used early "rubber solution" glues, based on neoprene (et al) dissolved in fiendish solvents like carbon disulphide. These were also used for sticking leather wraps onto brass tubes for scientific instruments. There are also period glues like Croid.
On the whole, it depends. it depends on your materials, your needs and your care for authenticity. But I'd experiment with the same materials before and practice on small pieces first.
Glassworking tools, like a ring saw, are great for accurate shaping if you know someone who does stained glass.
In wrote:

Thanks for the good info