OT. Pearl Harbor Day

I noticed the flags at the local high school were at half staff today. There weren't any on site ceremonies at Pearl Harbor itself. Some pictures.

Dean Hoffman

TrAIN, FIGHT, DIE. oops about cap

Reply to
Thomas

Once Harris and Biden take over, they'll have their BLM team remove all traces of the memorial.

Reply to
Bob Pawlo

Maybe we could discuss door dimensions without it turning political.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Well, he's not wrong.  The democrats do seem to hate American history monuments.

Reply to
Bernhard

There are plenty of snowflakes who think Truman was a racist because he dropped two nukes on the Japanese.

I think they had it coming.

Truman was still a racist tho.

gfretwell

Interesting, NBC News reported that this was the first anniversary where there were no survivors attending. So I assumed that meant they had some ceremony. And until I read your post, I didn't think about the Covid factor limiting what could be done, who could attend, etc. I figured it was because there are less and less survivors still alive and able to make the trip.

Reply to
trader_4

Common language in the 1940s. As for the nukes, they are said to have saved many lives. The Japanese were ready to fit to their death and they would have been all gone along with many allies.

Part of the training for the invasion was "If you see a child with a weapon, shoot him. If you see a woman with a weapon, shoot her. If not, they will kill you" A far more nasty scenario that most can comprehend today,

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The only good gook is a dead gook.. If anyone can't comprehend that they slept through Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. In more fashionable parts of the world like Sierra Leone a child warrior with a weapon would kill you.

Reply to
rbowman

Did you see where trumptard Congressman Gosar encouraged team Trump and the Trumpets to fight Trump's election loss like the Japanese that continued to fight on, hidden in the jungles for decades after WWII? Now that's something. It about sums it up, doesn't it? He thinks the Trumpets should be just as irrational and stupid, refusing to acknowledge reality, only causing more suffering and waste. All over a loony sore loser. Makes me very happy that I'm no longer a Republican.

Reply to
trader_4

Ed Pawlowski explained :

[...]

"A far more nasty scenario that most can comprehend today,"

A serious question about language.

I know that in some places the word "that" is used in place of "than".

Your usage above seems to indicate the exact opposite of what I think you were trying to say.

Can they or can they not comprehend?

Reply to
FromTheRafters

I think what finally stopped ISIS was removing the rules where you had to call JAG to get their permission to shoot.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yes, meant to say "than" but typed "that. Did not catch it. Thanks for clarifying.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks for responding. I usually just ignore the 'than that' swapping but in this case it seemed to make all the difference.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

This was just another case where if we had made the offer we ended up with, they might have surrendered earlier. In the end we let them keep their emperor and that was the sticking point in the negotiations. The A bomb may have had some shock value but we killed more people in LeMay's fire bombing of their cities. He said he was going to be out of targets soon and if we had not spared Nagasaki and Hiroshima from the bombing campaign up until then, the A bombs might not have had the needed impact.

OTOH when I see the atrocities the Japs committed, I want to nuke them again.

Reply to
gfretwell

We outsourced the Syria war to the Russians. (much like a lot of WWII)

Reply to
gfretwell

I normally don't notice, don't even see the date on my clock radio, but I did today as soon as I woke up. For some reason. A sad day.

Reply to
micky