Most useless power tool you own?

Page 5 of 6
Has to be the PC 4X24 belt sander. Nice tool , good power, works good if you can handle it. Need arms like gorilla to work with it.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (O D) wrote:

HEY! I love that thing! With a 36 grit belt mounted, there is nothing that removes material like that puppy...(or eats a cord as efficiently)DAMHIKT... short of maybe the Milwaukee 4x24 version...<G> For scribing the backs of countertops... there's nothing like it.
It's the 3x21 352VS I dislike. Aside from it eating motor bearings (I can't cross reference them to other bearing mfg's) the thing is wayyy to heavy for 7 amp 3x21 kiddie sander.... Truly a substandard tool for my applications. #2.. the original PC pocket cutter. What a wobbly, screaming POS that was. LONG gone. #3.. PC profile sander LONG gone.
none of the above 3 in particular order. Funny how those three pieces are all PC... and yet I swear by their production routers, and a lot of their other tools are great although I have been buying Hitachi MV12's lately with great success.
*turning ramble mode OFF*
Rob
I'll add to the list. Although I no longer own one, any tool made by Wagner fills the bill.

The Wagner "power painter" (AKA power dripper) that I bought in partnership with another friend. After he completed his project, I got to keep it. 90% paint on ground, 10% thrown at wall. It was disassembled for cleaning, then finally thrown away.
Each year, my nomination remains constant; a DeWALT 3-1/4" hand plane. About the only use it's seen is to knock down protruding edges of studs when I'm framing a wall with less than perfectly straight studs. I'm unable to find a use for it in cabinet or furniture making.
What power tool do you regret buying/receiving?
David

Hey, I have one of them. Somewhere. Taken apart to clean, but never reassembled. Never will be either. Yes, it is the top of my useless list for sure.
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 03:23:26 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

My Wagner painter is the only tool that I've ever thrown away.
--
Joe Wells

<snip>

A good clearing out is theraputic. Chucking useless crap that clogs the shop also makes place in our shops for new, even more useless crap.
And the dumpster divers and rust hunters amongst us have something about which to gloat.
Patriarch, who hauled three large boxes of offcuts up to the country place this weekend, and enjoyed the fire...

I keep meaning to throw mine away, but as I get near the trash can my feet feet slow down and I start to shake and I just can't throw the useless POS away. I must need a 12 step program. Hank

Hi, my name is Dave, and I can't throw away old tools. (hi Dave) It's been over 3 weeks since I tried to clean up my shop, and all I got done was this agreement thing with Silvan about picking up a number of items each time I went in there - so I'm avoiding the shop.
Ohhhhhhh... I have one....
A electric power washer that my mother-in-law bought me from Walmart. It wouldn't wash the hub caps on my truck, little less concrete.
I believe the machine is actually ashamed of it's self.
I am ashamed to throw it away and actually disappoint another person with how terrible it really is. I would never be allowed in the dump again.
Henry St.Pierre wrote:

Henry St.Pierre wrote:

LOL! Junk-don't-haulics Anonymous.
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:31:21 -0600, Henry St.Pierre wrote:

It wasn't easy. I mean, it has a cord and everything! The thing sat on the floor of my office for months before I finally marched it to the trash can.
The odd thing is that my life has gotten so much better since I chucked it. I have a better job, more tools in the shop, a good dog. I'm pretty sure my teeth are whiter now. Damn, I shoulda thrown that thing away years ago...
--
Joe Wells

No, you are confused, all that good stuff started happening when you started playing your Country Western record albums backwards.

You forgot to include the fact that of that 10% thrown on the wall, 90% of it went into one place and formed a huge drip

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:25:34 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Power painter in one hand, 4-inch brush in the other to spread it out.
The secret to getting some value from this painter is to add the 12-inch nozzle extension. The extension seemed to smooth out the pulses from the pump, resulting in significantly less drip and a somewhat useable spray pattern. I bought the extension to paint the overhand without a ladder.
I'll second that emotion, Leon. My Wagner is up in the attic out of reach of anyone wishing to use a decent sprayer.
David
Leon wrote:

That raises an interesting question, why do we continue to hang on to tools that we have proven to ourselves to be useless? Moreover, sometimes even to the extent of angering ourselves everytime we think we have figured out how to use them for something, only to screw a project up and realize that the tool really *is* useless?
I know I'm certainly guilty of this, I still have the PC detail sander even though I have not really been able to make it work all that well (several years ago I would have said otherwise, but have later found much better ways to get things done). I did get rid of the Sears vibrator that was mislabeled a pad sander, the Sears jigsaw that attempted to use decibels to scream wood apart while vibrating a blade against said wood, and a useless Wagner PowerPainter, so I think I'm learning that keeping useless stuff around is wasteful of space as well as the few $ that they might bring at a garage sale.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I think I traded mine to JOAT for a corner clamp. LOL!

I'll go with male ego/stubborness/machismo--whatever.
Bob

You gotta understand that to me it is almost a sin to throw away a tool. I have some really crappy 1980's B&D kinda greenish tools (drill, jigsaw, pad sander, etc.) that I keep "in case", and I have far too many less than HF quality stuff laying about. But the second time I used the Wagner Power Painter I threw it in the trash as it wasn't worth cleaning.
Dave Hall