Mortise machine chisle question

I have a dedicated mortising machine. How many times do I have to stab the same thumb on the same chisel point before I learn to stay way from it during setup? Does the price of the machine affect how many times you make the same stupid move? It has been three so far, two just this week. --And I've not even made a single mortise yet. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield....
Haven't a clue how that relates to woodworking Ed but I know how you feel having "one of those weeks".
Cheer up... with a bit more luck you'll be able to reach up and touch bottom...
Bob S.

Lord I wish I could laugh at you about that Ed but I have one too and I really cant comment! Those damn things werent made for mortising they were made to poke holes in peoples fingers. Works great every time!
Jim

I have had one for about 6 years..... How did you do that?

...oh no!!!...yet another confirmation of my suspicion that the board is out of wood or things to do with it...we're DOOMED!!!

Takes very little practice. You slip a piece of wood under hold down. You adjust it by holding it with your left hand while tightening the lever with the right hand. Once set, you just pull back your hand keeping the thumb in line with the chisel.
If you'd like, I can make an MPEG file next time I make an adjustment. I'm getting really good at it.
The good news is that a test cut with a newsly sharpened bit worked well. Ed

You test cut your _thumb_ ?? <g,d&r>
How many thumbs did you say you have??