More on glue

The different types of adhesives used by Taylor guitar:
http://www.cabinetmakerfdm.com/Adhesives_play_key_role_in_guitar_construction.html
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 07:19:17 -0600, Swingman wrote:

I'm surprised at the percentage of alphatic resin glues used.
I would have assumed that it would have been predominantly urea resins or hide glues.
basilisk
On Tue, 10 Dec 2013 09:13:34 -0500, Mike Marlow wrote:

I would have thought that the softer glues would have had a deadening effect on the acoustics, maybe not, maybe desirable, I don't know enough about guitars or glues apparently.
I wonder if a pissed bass player could deliver a severer beating with a guitar glued up with alphatic resin or one glued up with hide glue?
basilisk
On 12/10/2013 8:48 AM, basilisk wrote:

Did it with my '61 Fender Jazz, and didn't even knock it out of tune. ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 12/10/2013 8:59 AM, Swingman wrote:

Were YOU that guy that started that guitar wrecking scene on stage? LOL

No, but I have had to take extraordinary exception, on a few rare occasions, to drunk asshats coming on stage and/or trying to wrest the mic from a lead singer. Used with the same "butt stroke" as you would with a military rifle, the butt end of a Fender bass can be quite effective as a next-to-last resort. Trust me. ;)
Simply part of the bassist' job back in the old days of Texas dance halls.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

On 12/10/2013 7:57 AM, basilisk wrote:

I think we tend to not realize just how much glue technology has changed in the last twenty years.
That said, the "Duramold" process, stuff of the birch plywood H-4 Hercules during WWII, used a phenolic resin, which certainly stood up to that critical task.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

If you read the spec sheet on Titebond 50, the glue Taylor appears to use mostly, you will appreciate even more previous remarks about how important EMC of wood, and maintaining RH and temperature in a modern instrument factory are.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)