Moisture Meters

I'm considering buying a moisture meter. Has anyone seen a review/evaluation/comparison of moisture meters. Any direction will be appreciated.

Thanks Ed

Reply to
Ed Cessna

"Ed Cessna"

I use one for monitoring a humidor from Radio Shack. It's about 20 bucks and very accurate, has the temperature also, plus it keeps the high and low measurements of each until you reset. You can put it in a sealed bag with moist salt to check accuracy, should be running at 70% humidity.

Reply to
Fletis Humplebacker

Fletis:

I think he's asking about meters that read the moisture content of the wood, not the amount of moisture in the air. The former is a moisture meter, the latter is a hygrometer.

There have been articles in most of the woodworking magazines on moisture meters, types, range of meters, accuracy etc. They come in "pinless" and "pins" - one drives pins into the wood and uses the change in resistance to moisture content relationship to give a reading.

DAGS on Wagner, Lingomat (or is it Lignomat?) for info on two of the most common brands.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Reply to
George

David Marks uses the Mini Ligno's with the pins.

Alan

It was good enought for me to order one. My wood turned out to 6%.

Reply to
Alan W

... snip

You assume that the wood in question has been in your posession long enough to have stabilized to ambient conditions. In many cases, this is not true; if one purchases lumber there is a chance that it has not been dried to equilibrium moisture content -- this is when a moisture meter more than pays for itself by potentially saving a project.

No, I don't have one yet; yes, I've been lucky so far, although I always allow for movement.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yes, I do assume good practice. That's why I said it was a choice.

Never have been able to change the MC of a board with a meter. Seldom found much difference between any two boards > >If I had a choice I'd monitor and control my storage area. The correlation

Reply to
George