Moderating rec.woodworking

Page 7 of 7

I guess I have to concede on that one. There certainly is no 'rule' here. TWS
TWS wrote:

Dictator of a one-man country is still dictator.

Are you sure he's not the same guy who brought it to a vote a couple of months back?

--
--John
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 17:57:40 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Nah, that guy at least made a pretense at being objective. This guy has no subtlety and his only purpose is to piss us all off. Troll of the worst kind.
TWS
On 12 Jan 2005 22:14:32 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net"

go away, netcop wannabe.
This is a forgery, people. Bob McCLenon does not post through Google.
Wait, there will be more under a variety of names. We've seen this before.
djb
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:42:41 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Including a false Dave Balderstone.
What the troll did was to illustrate that a large number of rec.woodworking posters are not familiar with what a troll is and how to respond to it (typically by ignoring it).
- - Bob McClenon
Robert McClenon wrote:

Not so--note that nearly all are ignoring the racial epithet trolling now going on. The moderation thing, on the other hand, is a hot button for the group.

--
--John

Anyone who's using my filter file with Nfilter is not seeing that racial-epithet trolling at all. Which might account for lack of response to it. I didn't even know it was there until I visited Google Groups to search for more information about the other troll threads in hopes of finding something to filter against.
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:37:08 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Nope, those of us not using your filter are seeing the headers and ignoring the sad, sick mind behind the posts.
The initial posting regarding moderation seemed close enough to plausible to illicit an initial response -- the other posts are so stupid as to flag troll to anyone seeing them.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Mark & Juanita responds:

Not always. I've got my own filter set, and I was beginning to wonder why I was seeing totals up around 250 posts and finding about 25 when I opened the NG. I checked Google Groups and was really surprised that the lid had slipped off the outhouse again.
I dislike censorship in any form, but it does seem as if Google could offer some kind of filtering for their groups, or do some filtering before archiving such universally despised nonsense.
Charlie Self "One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above that which is expected." George W. Bush
On 15 Jan 2005 09:47:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Ah Charlie, you have such a way with words. :-)
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Unfortunately, rec.woodworking is something of a smorgasborg for trolls for exactly that reason.
The apppearance of the "false Dave Balderstone" as I predicted demonstrates that the troll is actively following this newsgroup and feeding off the responses.
djb
I do find myself going to the yahoo woodworking group more and more. They seem to police it a little better and the trolls are almost non-existant and the racial and other belligerant type stuff just doesn't get on there.
Maverick

Initial feedback - go away. You're not wanted here.
scott
Well, judging from the response, I guess it's decided!!
If it aint broke, don't fix it......basic industrial standard.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

No, No, No. That is the old standard.
The new one is "If it ain't broke out source it till it is and impossible to repair"
--
Mike G.
Heirloom Woods

Comin to ya on a Usenet road Bullshit I got a truck load And when you get it you got nuthin' So dont worry cause Im coming
Im a troll man Im a troll man Im a troll man Im a troll man
(apologies to sam and dave and jake and elwood)

Tommy: Can you do "Rubber Biscuits?" (Obww) Something along the line of, "If it (the troll) don't bounce back...you go hungry."
Bob
Won't happen.
message