Moderating rec.woodworking

Page 6 of 7

Thank you for the opportunity to provide feedback. If you desire a moderated group start one, but leave rec.woodworking alone.
Once again, thanks.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Look at this boneheads posts in News.Groups. He's a Troll and this isn't happening

On 12 Jan 2005 22:14:32 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net"

Is every one THAT bored???
Over 60 responses to this lame troll. I've never seen a 'mature' news group respond like this. In most well established groups a poor troll like this wouldn't get a handful of responses.

Yes, which explains why most of the posts that get a large number of responses are of this ilk. Mostly silly and off topic. Hey! Maybe we should have this newsgroup moderated... Just kidding!!! REALLY! I didn't mean it...
Actually I like to think of newsgroups, this one in particular, to be like the old general store. People hang out and talk about woodworking but most of those conversations are short, and quickly resolved (after all, how many ways can you stain cherry? Just kidding! - I really don't want to know) but talk about something that gets people riled up - well, now you've got yourself a 'discussion'. Who would want it any other way?
Oh yeah, that idiot troll.
TWS

That's the beginning and end of it. Most trolls here are labelled OT, as if it makes a difference.

I worded the sentence poorly. I was referring to the age of the group not the maturity of it's members. Most 'mature' groups have seen so many trolls over the years they mostly go completely ignored but not here at the wreck.:)
On slow days there is nothing to do but take a whack at a troll. The alternative is discussing norm <shudder>.
-j
wrote:

go

go
Funny - I see that very comment made about most usenet groups. It seems every other group handles things better than the one the poster is posting about.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"Gino"wrote in message

handful of

And just how is it that your post on the subject differs?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

The last moderation troll took a lot of beating with a verybig stick before they went away. Best to start early.
And who's to say it's really a troll, vs. a control-freak ?
Hi Andy,
Do a google search on both e-mail addresses. Interesting reading, especially those messages sent to ISPs (usually multiple).
Regards,
Rick

It's precisely because "a lot of beating" occurred that it took so long for the troll to go away. Trolls seek attention; when they are denied it in a particular venue, they go elsewhere in a big hurry. Witness, for example, the case of Bay Area Dave, who disappeared within a few days after the group finally reached a public consensus to never, ever, respond to any of his posts.
Best to ignore it altogether.

For starters, the post is a lie.
Gino wrote:

Yes.

Given the fact that we just went through this with a *real* proposal and *real* [fraudulent] vote a few months ago, folks around here are just a mite edgy and a bit trigger-happy. So, if'n ya know what's good fer ya, you'll watch yerself around here, OK?
;-)
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

but we had FUN, Gino.... if you read any of the posts, it was more like a big joke than anything else..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Gino wrote:

Uh, there was a serious attempt to create a moderated group a while back, led by one nutcake. Went to a vote, he won the vote, then it turned out that there were so many irregularities in the voting that the Powers That Be decreed that another vote be taken, which he lost.
This could be the same guy and if everybody ignores him then he might win his vote by default and become the moderator, which in his case will be semantically equivalent to "dictator".
--
--John
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:20:18 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Your history is a little off. There was no second vote. After the PTB decreed the vote invalid, the original creator of the RFD withdrew his second proposal.
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 05:20:18 -0500, "J. Clarke"

Since newsgroups are the only true democracy there isn't much chance of anyone becoming a dictator. People just wouldn't participate in 'his' newsgroup and would simply move somewhere else. A PITA for sure but not really a dictator. Fortunately this jerk is a TROLL and isn't likely to do anything but stir up this otherwise 'bored' group ;-) TWS

LOL! Tons closer to anarchy then any democracy I've experienced.