MLCS Router Bit experience

I bought several (what I thought to be mid-range) MLCS triple wing router bits

recently. THey aren't all their web site claims.

I attempted to use the 1/2" flush trim 1 /36" long bit today. First thing I noticed was a lot of vibration when I turned it on. Thought it was due to it being a bigger bit than I usually use. I tested it on scrap 1st and it seemed ok. I started trimming a 1" pice of walnut with it - Largest bite was probably 1/16" of an inch. I hit a small pinhole knot . The bit grabbed on the knot and almost torqued the router out of my hands (yeah I did have a firm grip on it). The bit jumped up into the guide and took a bite out of it and a large bite out of the walnut rail of a footboard. Of course I had the tenons on the sides cut as well as all the mortices for the slats. This was the 'final' decorative cut. So now I have to find another piece of 5/4 walnut and start from scratch.

Lesson learned -- I'll go to my local tool store and buy a top line router bit. It will cost but I probably won't have to remake the footboard rail again.

I have several other of the triple wing bits. I certainly will think before using them.

Reply to
Mr. Lucky

I don't know what is going on with the grabbing and jumping(?) but I seriously doubt the problem lies in the bit.

The vibration worries me. Vibration as if the bit was out of round or not properly seated in the collet?

Reply to
dadiOH

What does 1/36" refer too?

Reply to
routerman

I've seen the MLCS and wouldn't be surprised if one were out of balance--they're pretty typical low-ball market stuff imo. That said, if it's enough that one can feel it, one needs to find the cause and fix it before going ahead whether it is the collet, shank, dirt in collet, bearing or the bit itself. It's dangerous if out of balance as the high speed combined w/ the load imbalance can cause a shank to fail as well as potentially damage the workpiece.

I'm not positive of what OP means w/ "jumped up into the guide" precisely--whether it moved in the collet or the overall router got away from him or the reaction caused the depth setting of the base to move or what so can't comment too much other than if it moved in collet that's indicative of a problem there of dirt or size or somesuch.

If the knot was so small as indicated, it's hard to conceive of the router even knowing it was there unless was severely underpowered and if that were the case perhaps the bit wasn't the culprit at all...no way to tell from just the description.

Either way, my acquaintanceship w/ the MLCS hasn't been enough to make me relieve them from perhaps some culpability--I don't think they're any great shakes for sure.

--

Reply to
dpb

Free Clue: You should never use power equipment while intoxicated AND you should never post drunken gibberish to Usenet.

Wood Butcher

Yeah, I hope he figured that out and let MLCS know about it. They might replace it for him, free of charge.

-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine

(comparing Paine to the current CONgress )

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Jimbeaux the Cajon Handy Man

First you say this was a flush trim bit, I have never had a router jump from using a flush trim bit. I have had chatter.

The vibration should have been Isolated before using it. So did this flush trim bit come from MLCS???? you only talked about your flush trim bit. I don't use 3 wing cutters in a hand held router. I usually use them in the table, and they require less RPM.

So please clarify what happened. Was this all about a flush trim or a 3 wing cutter? Did you check your colet for dirt after experiencing the vibration? Did you remove the bit and turn it? Did you seat it all the way at the bottom, and it was not able to tighten all the way??? You know a bit gets pulled down and if you bottom it out from the very beginning it won't seat correctly and can vibrate and also come out.

Reply to
tiredofspam

If you check his reference it will indicate the bit used, a triple wing flush trim bit.

Leon

If you allow the bit to bottom out in the router it can very often lead to the bit not being parallel to the arbor/collet and you will get vibration.

Even a poor quality bit with this small diameter should not vibrate, this is not a large bit. If you were spinning a 2"+ diameter bit I could see how a poor quality bit could be less than desirable.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks, I didn't check his link. I thought he was talking 2 different things, one a slot cutter and the other a flush cutter.

Reply to
tiredofspam

Yeah, that puzzled me too. At first I thought he meant he was using an edge guide attached to the router but why would he be using one of those with a trimming bit?

As far as jumping goes, I don't ever recall a router trying to jump up; sideways sometimes but not up (or down).

We may never know :(

Reply to
dadiOH

-------------------------------- That was your first mistake.

ewing.html recently. THey aren't all their web site claims.----------------------------------------> I attempted to use the 1/2" flush trim 1 /36" long bit today. Firstthing I> noticed was a lot of vibration when I turned it on.--------------------------------Contact MLCS directly.Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett