Mixing wood species

I've got some nice douglas fir boards from an old work table that I've jointed and planed to 3/4. I'm intending to use them as the top of a coffee table for SWMBO, but I can't settle on a design (keep flip-flopping).
How stable do y'all think the top would be if I used slats of red oak between the fir? How different is the movement goint to be?
I'm thinking oak for breadboard ends as well...
Flip.
Flop.
Flip.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 07:33:32 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Dave. not enough color contrast for me.....

Hmm... what comes after "flip, flop"????
Maybe I'll take a piece of the DF and take a trip to the hardwood dealer.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

IIRC, "Flip, flop & fly, I don't care if I die..."
First Blues Brothers album. John Belushi sang it. Don't know who wrote the song originally, but it was a good 'un.
Patriarch, who has all sorts of unrelated bits of songs running around in his head.

Hmmmm....... I have the same question in reverse. I have a bunch of red oak flooring (5/16") that I want to use as panels for a frame and panel tool cabinet and I'm wondering what light colored (and forgiving to work with) wood to use for the frames. It's my first project so I'm not expecting a piece of art when I'm finished, but I do hope it will look decent.
Cheers, Mike

Dave, This is one case where some contrasting stain might make the piece interesting and yet not tacky. DF takes a stain pretty well, assuming this is rather tame DF, contrasting colo(u)rs would be nice. If you do chose to make some contrasting boards part of the glue-up, make the widths somewhat random.
And contrasting breadboard ends are a nice touch too.
O'Deen

The DF is quite red, and the boards I have are quite varied in grain patterns. Random (somewhat) widths is a nice idea and with these particular pieces may indeed be the best bet.
I'll play with some scraps and stain for color. Maybe ebonize the oak? Hmmm.
And maybe I'll see what I can find that's contrastiwise enough at the hardwood dealer.
Thanks. Once this puppy's done (if ever... I'm starting to feel like I'm making a bow saw) I'll be sure to post pictures.
djb
--
Okay, so this is my new sig line, eh?

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:08:10 -0600, Dave Balderstone

Then a little poly? (There goes my stomach.)

That should be relatively quick and simple.

Hey, hey, hey! I resemble that remark, bubba. ;)
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design