Staining Douglas Fir Doors

We just had some new custom Douglas Fir doors installed which need to be
finished. Can anyone help me on the steps and procedures I need to go
through and stain/seal the doors properly? Thanks.
Dave
Reply to
Dave Combs
Stain conditioner Stain Finish (polyurethane, shellac, lacquer)
What do you want to achieve exactly? Fir can be blotchy so it needs a pre-conditioner or a spit coat of shellac to seal it before staining.
Do a little reading here

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
Bix Pre Stain or a custom mix of shellac is a must for the first coat or it will look like junk when stained. First look for any scratches , sand with the grain carefully with 120-220. Pre stain then stain, if it is exterior use a Marine poly on the outside side. Finish with 3-7 coats, sanding takes an understanding of the finish to not ruin it by cutting through to the stain and using usualy 280-320g, but the big sanding is before the last coat to get it smooth . Use a Tack cloth inbetween to clean and dont varnish if the sun is going to hit or on a hot door. Doors are realy for a real pro to get them done right. They take time and alot of experiance.
Reply to
m Ransley

Site Timeline Threads

  • I was watching Ask This Old House today on PBS and one segment had Tom Silva...

    Home Repair