Miter Greater Than 45 Degrees

I am putting down some oak 1/4rounds, and find that the corners of my house aren't square, so I need to cut approx 48 degree miters, which my POS miter saw won't do.
Is there a trick to cutting them? I tried putting the shaft of a punch along the miter fence to increase the angle, but got a huge kickback that almost broke my thumb. I may end up just cutting them by hand since my trial and error method is more error than trial.
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 15:10:52 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"

This "kickback" is often caused by the offcut piece being grabbed by the blade as it cuts all the way through.
The trick is to make a square cut first, at the outside length of the miter - without anything packing the quarter round out from the fence.
Then you can pack out the piece (I like using a shim shingle) and hold the piece to be cut tight to the packout. Since you won't have anything loose for the blade to grab, you shouldn't have any "kickback".
Make a 45 degree fence out of a piece of plywood. clamp or screw the plywood to your miter saw. Then, with the saw at 90 degrees, you are cutting a 45 on the molding. You can adjust the saw either way to get any angle that you need.
--
dbchamber at hotmail spam dot com

Remove the spam to reach me
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:53:01 -0400, "David Chamberlain"

That's OK in some situations but it's awkward when you are dealing with a long piece.

How about clamping a speed square to the fence? Any reason why that wouldn't work? Thanks for your help.
A speed square does work but be very careful of your blade clearance as you change the miter angle. A piece of plywood is much more carbide friendly.
--
dbchamber at hotmail spam dot com

Remove the spam to reach me

Make a right angle jig that you can clamp to the fence of your saw. Lay the stock against it and set the saw for the necessary angle: cut. For greater safety, make the leg of the jig that is perpendicular to the fence long enough that you can clamp the stock to it while making the cut.
Kim