Minor Table saw accident

This didn't involve any blood, just lots of swearing....
I needed to cut a 45 on a length of treated lumber, so I cranked the angle all the way over to 45 degrees. No problem so far. Treated piece of lumber is 2x10 so I needed to adjust the blade higher.... The handle was at the bottom of the turn so I got lots of speed on the way up, lots of speed right up until my thumb joint contacted the fence rail and my cranking stopped suddenly as my swearing started. Something to the effect of son of effin b***** no good rotten b.... well, you get the idea. I was sure that I'd broken my thumb but luckily I didn't.
Not sure that I can blame the design of the saw (it's a Grizzly) but if I were to design one today, guess where there'd be a little more clearance.... :-)
Bryan
"DamnYankee" wrote in message

That's the "other" reason we were taught in shop 101 not crank the blade on a table saw too fast ... the first was so that you didn't slam into the pre-set stops. <g>
Maybe teaching shop in primary schools was not such a bad idea after all. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

be to release the blade from it's position.
Dave

quickly and then try to bring it up again. It's a bear.
Dave
"David" wrote in message

Ahh, you're just doing a drive-by on the PM66 (I don't blame you) ... but even it might need some dry lubricant on occasion. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05
Swingman wrote:

something bad about the PM66?
Harvey
eclipsme wrote:

slightly bad. No big deal. My Unisaw doesn't jam as easily.
Dave
"eclipsme" wrote in message

Welcome to the wREC.
http://tinyurl.com/nfazq
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/13/05

I've done similar things before. I was dropping the blade below the table to switch to a dado head, spinning the wheel as fast as I could and my hand slipped, came flying off the handle and smacked into the front fence rail hard. Left really nice purple bruises across the top of my hand.
Ouch. Glad you're okay.
I couldn't believe how bad it hurt!!! I'll be much slower next time.
Bryan

Did the exact - same - thing, exactly once with my new Grizzly. It really, really hurts.
Frank
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll only do this once too!!! :-)
Bryan