Milling Black Walnut & Stump

I was at Lowe's yesterday and had another customer ask me if I would be interested in the trunk and stump of a black walnut tree he was having taken down. The trunk will be about 14' long and about 14" dia. I don't know how accurate his estimates are but I figured it might be worth looking into. I have free access to a bandsaw mill so I can cut the trunk into planks, let them dry on stickers, etc.

My question is about the trunk. I'm wondering if I should cut it into planks or quarter it or sell it as one piece? My ex father inlaw said his sister and her husband in California sell the stumps off their land for $3k to $20k depending on the size. Apparently they're sent off to Japan or something.

Anyway, does anyone have info on what to do with the trunk? TIA

Will

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer

See if you can't keep the trunk and stump as one for now? I've heard that the most desireable portions lie within the few feet between the stump and trunk...I'll bet others will have more info as they find your message. Tom

Reply to
tom

You may be disappointed in the amount of dark heartwood available in a tree that size. Young trees have a very wide band of heartwood. I'd take a look at it before I made too many plans.

OTH, the joint between sapwood and heartwood with each ring shaded a different color has some wonderful opportunities, if you can use them.

Walt C

Reply to
Walt Cheever

Wood Turning comes to mind...

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Like I said, the guy's dimensions may be off. When he said "14" he was holding his hands out at about 24" so who knows. He said it will be within a month that it's taken out so I'll post an update.

Reply to
NorthIdahoWWer

you want to have somebody competent drop the tree if at all possible. if the wood's worth anything it's probably worth quite a bit, and a hack with a chain saw can do a lot of damage in a few minutes.

Reply to
bridgerfafc