Micro Fence -

have read all their reviews and wanted to see if I could get some feedback either positive or negative.

Has anyone regretted buying this product?

Thanks Scott

Reply to
Scott Willett

Scott: I own and use this microfence. Well worth the money. Very well made ...high precision. I strongly recommend this product. It is a pleasure to use and the fine adjustment is a real treat to use for accurate joint making.

Mike from American Sycamore

aswr

I've got the "standard " Micro-Fence and the circle cutting Micro-Fence with mounting blocks for my DW621 plunge and my PC D-Handle.

Inlayed black walnut strips into my workbench legs, cut mortises for knife hinges, 6 - 18 inch diameter circles ... As advertised, this is a precision device that is put together with quality materials and craftsmanship. Haven't tried matched curves yet but given how this thing works it shouldn't be a problem.

It's really nice to be able to dial in a few THOUSANDTHS for "slop".

SAVE THE INSTRUCTIONS! Being a guy, I tucked them away somewhere. Dismantled the "system" so it'd go back in the box and a month later played "This goes here - I think - but then how does this attach to that?"

BTW - the co-inventor is a really nice guy - very patient with customers at shows and quick to laugh. Anyone with smile lines like that has to love what he's doing. I'm ordering the small circle accessory this week.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:07:39 -0500, the inscrutable "Scott Willett" spake:

At $179.95, I sure hope so. Gimme half an hour and I'll make one for under $5. Micro adjusters are planned for my bandsaw, table saw, drill press, and mortising machine jigs. Now where has my round tuit disappeared to?

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Dynamic Website Applications ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'll make you a new round tuit if you'll make me a micro-fence.

Seriously though, I have a Makita 3612 Plunge Router and would like to upgrade the edge guide. The micro-fence is no doubt the "cadillac" of the industry but can anyone recommend a "Ford" model perhaps ????

Reply to
Lenny

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:35:23 -0500, the inscrutable Lenny spake:

DIY! Some sample pics/urls follow:

for DeWallys and Hibachis.)

Heck, I'll make one for you for a mere $100, including prototyping, machining, and delivery. Send your baseplate (and cash) to me and suggest rod sizing or length. Give me a week and I'll do the rest.

---------------------------------------------------- Thesaurus: Ancient reptile with excellent vocabulary

Dynamic Website Applications ====================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They're quite easy to make but if you want to buy one (no problem with that, I have a couple), look at Pat Warner's guide. Straitforward and functional.

The micro-fence is no doubt the "cadillac" of

Reply to
CW

I guess it's a question of whether you want to spend your time making special jigs, deciding on and then finding the hardware you think you need, do multiple iterations as you use what you thought would do everthing you want to do and found out it didn't ...

OR

Buy one that'll do what you want to do now AND stuff you weren't even aware of but discover as you use it.

Make furniture, boxes, cabinets etc. or make jigs.

The Micro-Fence is like the early HP pocket calculators - "a solution looking for problems to solve".

And THAT raises an interesting question Does buying specialized, and often expensive, tools get you doing things you wouldn't even consider trying, or weren't even aware of - sooner than you would've learned to do them otherwise? (lousy sentence structure but you get the idea)

examples The Leigh/Akeda/PC etc. dovetail jig or the Incra/JoinTEch router table and fence system

The W&H moulder

A Lie-Nielsen dovetail saw and a set of their new chisels, along with 5 of their planes

A dedicated mortising machine

A horizontal boring/mortising/router machine with an XYZ table

The Leigh FMT

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b