MDF

Hello

I just did a small experiment, I had a piece of MDF that I left in water for about 24 hrs. After inspecting the piece, it hasent swollen a bit, Why are people saying that MDF under water bubble? I know particle boad will...

Thanks Christian

Reply to
Christian Charette

Maybe it wasn't MDF.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

well that's what I have been buying for the past couple of months... it's brown like cardbord and it's heavy...

Christian

Reply to
Christian Charette

I made a table from MDF a while back. I laminated 3 peices of 3/4" sheet for the legs. I had several scraps left and I have been using one of the pieces as a wheel chock for my boat. It has been outside for 3 months and gets wet from the sprinkler system every other day. Same results as you report - no swelling or delamination.... It looks the same as it did 3 months ago with just a little discoloration.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

I think the MDF has so much glue and is so compressed it is basically water resistant.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Rather than soak the whole thing, let a few drops of water stand on a dry piece and see if you like the results. That said, MDF does seem to be a bit more water tolerant lately.

You don't have tempered hardboard do you... Some of that looks like MDF.

Reply to
Leon

There's a variant of MDF that's water resistant, and that's probably what you have. If it was standard MDF, your 3/4" thick board would now be 1" thick.

Reply to
mp

Not just glue. Besides that and wood fiber, the other main ingredient in MDF is wax.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

With wax, it seems odd that paint sticks to it so well.

Reply to
Leon

I had an experience with MDF that illlustrated its limitations. I have

4 X 4 posts supporting my porch roof. There was an apron of MDF at the bottom where the posts joined a concrete base. When it rains the porch would get wet so the MDF would get wet also. (It does not rain often here.) After three years the MDF started to deform and look ugly. I finally replaced the MDF with redwood and it tolerates the climate much better.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

What is MDF and what is particle board? I thought it was the same stuff. What is the stuff you buy at the BORG, either natural sawdust or with white (melamine) finish or a picture of wood?

Reply to
Greg

I saw some mdf drawers that became victims of a sudden shower go from 1/2" to 1 1/2". A single drop of water or sweat would a circular patch about1/16" high, not that I measured it, we were trying to get the sheets of it out from under the newly discovered hole in the roof. Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

MDF Medium Density Fiberboard is make up of fine partials of wood, almost like saw dust after sanding a board. Particle board has larger easier to see chunks of wood and reminds me of compressed shredded wheat. OSB. Orientated Strand Board has fist sized and a bit smaller thin laminations of wood.

Reply to
Leon

I hate it when that happens.

Reply to
mp

Light brown or dark brown? What thickness? Was it the (hard to find, but available) water-resistent version? Let the experiment run for a week.

The MDF I buy soaks up water, but I've never (intentionally) immersed it.

Reply to
mttt

Read all about it...

of course

board plywood melamine and more

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

All MDF is particleboard but not all particleboard is MDF.

MDF (the real MDF) is made up of finer particles.

Particleboard (the stuff that's not MDF) is made up of coarser particles.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

If you've really believe water won't affect it, you'll prove it by building an MDF boat.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

hehehe I build it and I will lent it to you to try :cP

Christian

Reply to
Christian Charette

Well I would say dark brown...

1/2"

Dont think so, i just grabbed the first sheet I could get on one of the stack at Kent (our local hardware store)

Well I put a peice of 3/4 in a glass and same result... And it's still in water

If I put a drop on it it just stayes there even if I rubb it on to help it penetrate...

Christian

Reply to
Christian Charette