MDF

Page 1 of 2
Hello
I just did a small experiment, I had a piece of MDF that I left in water for about 24 hrs. After inspecting the piece, it hasent swollen a bit, Why are people saying that MDF under water bubble? I know particle boad will...
Thanks Christian
Maybe it wasn't MDF.
UA100
well that's what I have been buying for the past couple of months... it's brown like cardbord and it's heavy...
Christian

Rather than soak the whole thing, let a few drops of water stand on a dry piece and see if you like the results. That said, MDF does seem to be a bit more water tolerant lately.
You don't have tempered hardboard do you... Some of that looks like MDF.

I had an experience with MDF that illlustrated its limitations. I have 4 X 4 posts supporting my porch roof. There was an apron of MDF at the bottom where the posts joined a concrete base. When it rains the porch would get wet so the MDF would get wet also. (It does not rain often here.) After three years the MDF started to deform and look ugly. I finally replaced the MDF with redwood and it tolerates the climate much better.
Dick
Are familiar with Hardy board? Fiber cement that comes in standard 1x sizes. Does not rot, ever.

I made a table from MDF a while back. I laminated 3 peices of 3/4" sheet for the legs. I had several scraps left and I have been using one of the pieces as a wheel chock for my boat. It has been outside for 3 months and gets wet from the sprinkler system every other day. Same results as you report - no swelling or delamination.... It looks the same as it did 3 months ago with just a little discoloration.
--
HomeBrewer

http://home.earthlink.net/~t3e871/index.html
I think the MDF has so much glue and is so compressed it is basically water resistant.
--
HomeBrewer

http://home.earthlink.net/~t3e871/index.html
<<I think the MDF has so much glue and is so compressed it is basically water resistant.>>
Not just glue. Besides that and wood fiber, the other main ingredient in MDF is wax.
Lee

With wax, it seems odd that paint sticks to it so well.

for
There's a variant of MDF that's water resistant, and that's probably what you have. If it was standard MDF, your 3/4" thick board would now be 1" thick.
What is MDF and what is particle board? I thought it was the same stuff. What is the stuff you buy at the BORG, either natural sawdust or with white (melamine) finish or a picture of wood?
MDF Medium Density Fiberboard is make up of fine partials of wood, almost like saw dust after sanding a board. Particle board has larger easier to see chunks of wood and reminds me of compressed shredded wheat. OSB. Orientated Strand Board has fist sized and a bit smaller thin laminations of wood.

white
Read all about it...
http://www.awi-wa.com/OVERLAY_PROD.htm
http://www.pbmdf.com/buyerguide/TBStability1.htm
http://www.pbmdf.com/buyerguide/tbshelving1.htm
and of course
http://www.pbmdf.com /
MDF Particle board plywood melamine and more
Greg wrote:

Greg wrote:

All MDF is particleboard but not all particleboard is MDF.
MDF (the real MDF) is made up of finer particles.
Particleboard (the stuff that's not MDF) is made up of coarser particles.
UA100
mp wrote:

I saw some mdf drawers that became victims of a sudden shower go from 1/2" to 1 1/2". A single drop of water or sweat would a circular patch about1/16" high, not that I measured it, we were trying to get the sheets of it out from under the newly discovered hole in the roof. Joe

I hate it when that happens.

for
Light brown or dark brown? What thickness? Was it the (hard to find, but available) water-resistent version? Let the experiment run for a week.
The MDF I buy soaks up water, but I've never (intentionally) immersed it.

Well I would say dark brown...

1/2"
Dont think so, i just grabbed the first sheet I could get on one of the stack at Kent (our local hardware store)

Well I put a peice of 3/4 in a glass and same result... And it's still in water

If I put a drop on it it just stayes there even if I rubb it on to help it penetrate...
Christian

Dark brown strikes me as hardboard (aka Masonite, aka High Density Fiberboard). They make a really water resistant version, but plain ol' hardboard is plenty resistant for me.
I made our kid's playhouse out of 1/4" hardboard, albeit painted, but it stayed outdoors (rain, snow) for a couple of years without much sign of wetting.
1/2" is odd. The thickest hardboard I've seen is 1/4".
All the MDF I've seen is light brown .. tan.