McCloskey's phenolic spar varnish repair ?

Folks,
I offered to take a look a large oak door (6 panel with ornate molding framing the panels) that someone (the owner) had damaged by trying to remove the adhesive from left over tape. . .Eek! What we have here is about 4-5 2-3" areas with absolutely no finish on them.
On urethane varnish, I would simply say unequivocably strip the varnish and do it over again. But doing a little reading, McCloskey's Spar is a phenolic varnish, so I have a little question: is it possible to spot repair such phenolic varnish with any success?
Kim
Kim, It is a clear finish so I suggest you not strip but feather back an inch or so and lay in new coats. With 220 to 400 sanding between you should be able to get perfect match. One more thing, you might want to coat whole door for last coat.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:50:12 -0700, Kim Whitmyre

I'm on the wrong continent for this stuff, but isn't a "phenolic" (usually a rather brittle, if hard, resin) "spar varnish" (a flexible varnish for the flexing parts of ships) rather an oxymoron ?
On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:50:12 -0700, Kim Whitmyre

oof,,,good luck with this one Kim, i know they came to the right person, but i know how these "sure i can do that" projects can escalate
Traves