Material Like MDF But For Exterior Use / What Is It Called? / Suitability For Windows?

I was watching a show recently and a comment was made about some material that they were using. It came in 4 x 8 sheets like MDF but was rated for outdoor use. Anyone know what this stuff is?
I was thinking about looking into possibly using it for a garden window, which would ultimately be painted. Any comments? Alternate suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Flash Gordon wrote:

MDO?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Flash Gordon (in snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com) said:
| I was watching a show recently and a comment was made about some | material that they were using. It came in 4 x 8 sheets like MDF but | was rated for outdoor use. Anyone know what this stuff is?
Extira.
| I was thinking about looking into possibly using it for a garden | window, which would ultimately be painted. Any comments? Alternate | suggestions?
Extira holds up well in outdoor use. Before painting use a roundover bit in your router to remove sharp edges and corners.
It came in 4 x 8 sheets like MDF but

Like the man said. MDO Medium Density Overlay. According to Norm they use it for road signs and he seems to use it a lot for outdoor projects. IIRC it had a thin smooth paper sufrace, thus the Overlay.
Hi Flash:
Someone else posted Extira. That would work for what you want.
Do NOT use MDO. MDO is plywood with exterior glue and waterproof paper laminated to one or both sides. It's great for signs, provided the edges are banded with solid wood and nothing is nailed or screwed into it. MDO gets recommended a lot, and I used to recommend it myself, but I've seen what can happen if moisture finds it's way into a panel. It rapidly rots away from the inside out. I don't recommend it any more.
Regards, John.
Flash Gordon wrote:

the_tool_man wrote: > Hi Flash: > > Someone else posted Extira. That would work for what you want. > > Do NOT use MDO. MDO is plywood with exterior glue and waterproof paper > laminated to one or both sides. It's great for signs, provided the > edges are banded with solid wood and nothing is nailed or screwed into > it. MDO gets recommended a lot, and I used to recommend it myself, but > I've seen what can happen if moisture finds it's way into a panel. It > rapidly rots away from the inside out. I don't recommend it any more.
Based on my experience with epoxy, plywood, and fasteners when attempting to use same for boat building, when drilling a hole thru plywood, I always use the following:
1)Drill a 3/4" hole for 1/4" bolts, 1-1/4" hole for 1/2" bolt, etc.
2)Tape bottom of hole shut and fill proud with micro-balloon thicked epoxy.
3)When cured, sand flush, then drill thru hole in epoxy for bolt.
4)Paint as required.
Lew
There are several exterior MDF's ... Medex is the most widely known....
http://www.sierrapine.com/products/mdf/medex/default.asp