Matching a Color Question

I am trying to match the stain color on an Early American chest of drawers. The material in the chest is maple, but the material I am using in my project is alder.

Zar Vermont Maple is the closest to the color that I have found but it's not right. I've never used any dyes before and I need some help.

Thanks.

Reply to
GrayFox

Matching a color is a very difficult task. Even if you manage a perfect match on scraps, it might not match in the real piece. Sometimes you have to mix two stains, or put two on in succession. I have used both dyes and stains together. In other words, it is a lot of trial and error. If anyone has shortcuts, I would be thrilled to hear them.

Reply to
toller

The advice I give my clients is to go to a paint store which deals to the professionals. Every town has one. In most cases, there's a guy with an eye for that kinda thing. In my town there is a guy who does miracles....but keep in kind that a match today, may not be a match in a couple of years... stuff ages. It's a very difficult area of expertise. Good luck.

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
nospambob