Marking Sticks For Lathe

I use sticks (some people use wood rulers) with notches cut into them to mark my cuts for spindle work on a lathe. I call these "marking sticks". Do these things have a "real" name? Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

try rec.crafts.woodturning
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...
Story Stick?
Depends on how you use it -- I have heard different names...
In other applications I have heard tools like this referred to as story boards.
Knothead wrote:

Another mixed media thing. Story boards are used in film and video making to illustrate key scenes so folks have an idea of camera location and field of view, sets, props, actor positions, costumes etc.
Story sticks have length and height and depth for key points on a cabinet, set of cabinets, desks, dressers etc. One of the four faces for lengths, one for heights, one for depths and the last for the piece name and notes.
Story sticks are easier to store than drawings but harder to file.
charlie b