Deadbolt sticks

The deadbolt sticks when I lock it.
When I take this piece out, there is no sticking.
I tried using a rash to file off some of the opening, but no luck.
https://imgur.com/a/embd2FE
Thanks, Andy
On 7/13/2020 9:46 PM, AK wrote:

You have to take the right part off. You may not be getting the part that is actually sticking.
Also, is the door sagging? If this is new it would be probably rubbing on the bottom, but make sure the door hinges are not loose too.
On 7/13/20 8:46 PM, AK wrote:

Maybe shoot some powdered graphite on the mechanism still in the door.
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 13 Jul 2020 18:46:23 -0700 (PDT), AK

With the door open or the door shut?
If with the door shut, when that is in place, it directs the bolt to a particular spot in the door jamb/plate. So maybe you need to file or grind something off that piece instead.
if with the door open, put crayon or lipstick etc. on the bolt and it will mark where it is hitting the plate. Works for the previous paragragh too.

On 07/13/2020 08:01 PM, micky wrote:

Damn! Micky finally said something worthwhile. I got some strange looks when I bought a tube of bright red lipstick but it works pretty good for fitting parts. Crayons tend to be a little hard to stick well.
A marking pen works well too. Slather up the striker plate, put it together, and see what gets scraped.

That works too - - -
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 19:39:09 -0700 (PDT), AK

99.999% chance the dooe or door feame has sagged. Replace the striker plate. tape a piece of paper over it. Grease the end of the deadbolt. Turn the deadbolt 'tilkl it contacts the paper. Retract the deadbolt and see how the grease mark aligns with the hole in the striker plate. Adjust the door hinges to match (usually by shimming with paper or boxboard behinf the hinge - assuming it's not just a loose hinge.)