Maple hardwood flooring

We are looking into getting 3 1/4" x 3/4" grade 2 maple floor installed. We have heard maple can be difficult to stain, but are there any other issues we need to know about? For example, is it difficult to sand (and not show the sanding marks) and finish? We are thinking of having it stained a cider color with maybe a slighty deeper red/brown tone.
Thanks! Leigh
easier then oak to work with, so it's softer. as for the sanding marks all will show dependant on grit size.... careful staing though..... I've had moderate success with a pre-stain and stain, but so far best results (limited colors) is with the polyshades.