Man, I am sick what shoudl I do?

Page 1 of 2
I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.
I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt, etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer as the new one?

You should feel comfortable with the purchase you make at the time you make it. Don't worry or anguish over what you will find in the future as you will always find a better deal. Waiting for the "very best" deal will always cause you to miss out on something you can be enjoying now.
I would put the old one on Craigslist (or similar) for $75 and buy one that works; either the Craftsman for $300 or a used one for $200.
But that is what I would do. What you should do might be entirely different.
Having you around is great; you are like the little idiot brother I never had.
Toller wrote:

Uncalled for.
How can you have a brother you never had?
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Have you read his posts over the last month?

"Like". English not your native language?

At least he's not giving electrical advice.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

????

Simple, the mother has a baby. At that point, it's a brother or sister that the person has now that they never had before.
Puckdropper

<<<<<<<<<<<< SNIP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Must be great to feel so superior to others.You must really feel like you are a king because you don't ask for advice instead of jumping head long into a decision you might regret. To have so much extra money that researching before you make a purchase is unnecessary. The world has truly blessed you. Puff

Researching...now *there's* an interesting clue for the idiot brother.
--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact /

Saved your parents the embarassment of spawning 2 idiots.
Hey Stryped, Don't feel sick, finish rehabbing the jointer you have and subtract the cost of its refurbishing from the $239. Then buy that much lumber. You'll be so much happier with the final outcome. Marc stryped wrote:

On 20 Sep 2006 06:00:38 -0700, stryped wrote:

Seems to me, you'd be better off with the one you have. First, because you have it. Second, because you're going to learn quite a bit about what a jointer is, how it works, and how to maintain it, by getting it into working order. That's valuable knowledge, gained at relatively low financial risk.
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net
stryped wrote:

Nobody here can tell you what to do, you'll have to make that decision yourself.
Somebody else noted there's a lot of value in learning something about refurbishing old equipment--assuming, of course, you're interested enough in woodworking that you're going to continue to do some. For me, there's far more pleasure in getting something back in shape than just buying a new gew-gaw, but that's me.
As for knives for this machine, you can measure the knives you have and any knife of the same length, width and thickness (VERY important!) will be fine. Sears, in general, would be about the last place I'd go looking for tooling.
As noted in other response, unless these knives are in very poor shape, resharpening them would be my first choice.
Where would be the best place if not sears to buy knives at a good price? dpb wrote:

http://www.google.com
Sheesh.
--
Regards,

No, it's Google. Not Sheesh. ;-)
Puckdropper

I actually like working on machines like this but it would bother me if I spent alot of time and it still did not cut as good as that new one.
Also, It is easy to spend omoney on tools, etc more than the cost of a new one. For example, been reading a dial indicator is the best way to set blades. They are 34 bucks at sears. The magnetic base for it is 44. That adds up quick! dpb wrote:

As several people have indicated, you really need to get familiar with google<g>.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g9849
$22.25