Man, I am sick what shoudl I do?

I just went on the sears website to see if I could find blades for this old jointer. I saw on clearance a jointer on clearance for 239. It was before 399.99. It can be shipped to the store for free.

I wish I had known about this before I bought this old one. Should I keep going on trying to get this old one going with new knives, belt, etc or shoudl I cut my losses? Will I be as happu with this old jointer as the new one?

Reply to
stryped

You should feel comfortable with the purchase you make at the time you make it. Don't worry or anguish over what you will find in the future as you will always find a better deal. Waiting for the "very best" deal will always cause you to miss out on something you can be enjoying now.

Reply to
Leon

I would put the old one on Craigslist (or similar) for $75 and buy one that works; either the Craftsman for $300 or a used one for $200.

But that is what I would do. What you should do might be entirely different.

Having you around is great; you are like the little idiot brother I never had.

Reply to
Toller

Reply to
marc rosen

Uncalled for.

How can you have a brother you never had?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Have you read his posts over the last month?

"Like". English not your native language?

Reply to
Toller

Seems to me, you'd be better off with the one you have. First, because you have it. Second, because you're going to learn quite a bit about what a jointer is, how it works, and how to maintain it, by getting it into working order. That's valuable knowledge, gained at relatively low financial risk.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

Nobody here can tell you what to do, you'll have to make that decision yourself.

Somebody else noted there's a lot of value in learning something about refurbishing old equipment--assuming, of course, you're interested enough in woodworking that you're going to continue to do some. For me, there's far more pleasure in getting something back in shape than just buying a new gew-gaw, but that's me.

As for knives for this machine, you can measure the knives you have and any knife of the same length, width and thickness (VERY important!) will be fine. Sears, in general, would be about the last place I'd go looking for tooling.

As noted in other response, unless these knives are in very poor shape, resharpening them would be my first choice.

Reply to
dpb

Depending on how old your machine is, my guess is though it might not be hi-tech or whatever, it's probably better built than a new one and has a lot more steel in it... You might consider your restore as gained knowledge that you'll have if you have a problem with the machine later, as opposed to having to learn to troubleshoot/fix the new one later... Mac

mac davis

Reply to
stryped

At least he's not giving electrical advice.

Reply to
LRod

Doug Miller

????

Reply to
Locutus

I'd say keep the old one.

1) Why new knives? I was surprised at how reasonable they were to sharpen when I ruined mine by running plywood edges through. Seems like they charged $0.50 per inch, or $9 for a set of 6" knives. 2) A link belt is not very expensive. Not sure why you are using a belt the wrong size. 3) Get a guard. How does it mount? Unless it is a unique design for Sears, you should be able to find one that works. 4) Align the tables and you will be good to go, for a lot less money than new.
Reply to
alexy

I am not sure how the guard mounts. Where can I find a replacement?

Here is a picture of a similar jointer.

WHat do you think?

Problem with blades is m> "stryped" wrote:

Reply to
stryped

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:DDcQg.6496$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

No, it's Google. Not Sheesh. ;-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

alexy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

*snip*

There's a cutlery place in our local mall that does knife sharpening. They're about $1 per inch (from what the guy told me) but if you've got a good set of knives it's well worth the price.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

To me, it's not either/or. I'd get the new one, set it up, and run some boards on it. Then I'd refurb the old one and see if I could make it work just as well. Either way, I should end up with at least one good jointer and maybe one to sell, and along the way I'll have learned all about jointers for very low tuition.

If you want to joint today, get the new one. If you want to mess around with a machine and see what happens, keep the old one. If you want both, do both. If you only want to joint, get the new one and sell the old one, or part it out, or turn it into a conceptual lawn sculpture.

One way I learn about any item-- not just tools-- is by trying an ostenbsibly crummy one next to an ostensibly good one. Sometimes the difference is negligible for my purposes. Sometimes it's night and day. Either way, lesson learned.

Reply to
boorite

"The3rd Earl Of Derby" wrote in news:wnbQg.22022$r61.5681 @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Simple, the mother has a baby. At that point, it's a brother or sister that the person has now that they never had before.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Must be great to feel so superior to others.You must really feel = like you are a king because you don't ask for advice instead of jumping = head long into a decision you might regret. To have so much extra money = that researching before you make a purchase is unnecessary. The world = has truly blessed you. Puff

Reply to
Puff Griffis