making joints for Crown Molding

SHould scarf joints be used when joining two pieces, or should the two pieces of molding simply be abutted against one another.
Frank
I 45 them so that if the joint opens up, you dont see the crack as easily.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Frank L) wrote in message

Frank,
I just finished doing crown molding in my bedroom, actually, and I was faced with the same issue. I wound up scarfing the two ends together. Its the first time I've installed molding that was longer than 8 feet in length, so this was a new experience for me, as well. I did wind up measuring my distances wrong, so cut the two pieces meant to be scarfed, a little short. I found that I was able to place a small filler piece of molding, made to fit the gap that I had mistakenly created, into the gap. The angle of the scarf holds it in place. Nice.
Good luck.
- Todd