scarf joints

Hello,

I need to join two short sections of skirting board to make one long section. How can I join them invisibly? I think I need to use a scarf joint. Is that best? I read (online) that a scarf joint (why is it called scarf BTW?) should be eight times longer than it is thick. By my calculations, cutting something as thin as skirting board would require cutting at a very shallow angle; about 7 degrees. Since my humble Wickes mitre saw only goes as low as 45 degrees. What should I do?

Thanks in advance, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

If they're to be painted I'd lay one on top of the other face to face and cut through the ends so they match then glue together with a steel plate screwed to the back for reinforcement. Fill with car body filler and sand flat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

45 degrees is fine.You'll get a vertical line down the front of the joint whatever you do.
Reply to
Roger Mills

Not really possible with the usual skirting board - it would be better if you could get a board the length that is required rather than joining two short pieces (it makes life easier).

I think I need to use a scarf

It is presumed that the skirting is of softwood and finished with gloss paint.

Ignore the calculations and simply cut the boards to 45 degrees, and then fix the skirting to the wall as needed - and knock a couple of nails into the scarfed joints to hold them (using glue [or No Nails] if you wish).

When fixed, simply fill any gaps in the scarf with polyfilla (or your preferred way) and prime, undercoat a gloss.

Remember though, that unless the skirting has been left in the room for a while to dry, you are likely to experience some shrinkage between the two boards, which would need some attention to the decoration at a later date.

Woodworm

Reply to
Woodworm

Oxford English Dictionary is uncertain of the route of the workd in English, but there are words in Swedish (Skarfva) and Norwegian (Skarva, skjerva) with specific meanings of lengthening timbers or garments by overlapping joints. Possibly the English word came via old French (ecart, escarf) rather than directly from the Swedish.

Does anyone else's local Library Service give online access to the full OED online via their library ticket?

Reply to
OG

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 23:05:16 +0100, OG had this to say:

Yes.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The standard chippies way is to stand the boards vertically with the join overlapped, and then cut down through both with a hand saw at something approximating 45 deg. The actual angle (or for that matter even the straightness of the cut) does not really matter since they will match perfectly. All you need do is ensure that a black line will not open up as the board shrinks, and a board thickness of overlap when finished is fine.

Reply to
John Rumm

There are loads of joints in the skirting in this Victorian house - especially in the hall, to the stairs etc. And all are 90 degrees. They are overlapped types where each part is reduced to half thickness.

There are (were) lots of scarf joints in the architraves. Every one of which shows. I've replaced most of them.

Personally, I'd not have a scarf (or any) joint in the middle of a skirting board run - unless it's impossible to do it in one. It *will* show, and you'll notice it each time you pass...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ideally yes, but you can't always get the timber in long enough lengths.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, and various other things too.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Thanks everyone, all the other posts seem to echo the above method, so I'll give that a go. I can only buy up to 5.1m lengths locally and the run is 5.3m ;(

Reply to
Stephen

Known as an "R flap" (or half lap if you speak proper).

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Right - never heard the first one before.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

R flap is just the cockney version

Reply to