Make a Mallet (Shopnotes)

Page 3 of 4
On 2/20/2014 3:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote:

The mallet head striking an object bounces. The shot hitting the opposite end of the mallet when the mallet bounces back "helps" to cancel out the head bounce back.

Pretty much as I'd have explained it. But however one looks at it, a dead blow mallet is a damned useful tool. You don't really realize it though until you actually use one.

Now I will say........ I had a dead blow mallet back in the 70's. It eventually degraded and the plastic disintegrated and left the steel handle and a shot gun shell sized capsule partially filled with the pellets.
I suspect that a lot of the bounce back is also absorbed by the plastic material that is used to encase the steel parts.
For the past 20 or so years I have used one of those smaller hammers with a red rubber face on one end and a yellow plastic face on the other. The plastic face end is a similar plastic that is used on the dead blow mallets. My current non dead blow hammer does not have much bounce back either....

This is the one I have. http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?pD326&cat=1,53193

---------------------------------------------------------------- When it's time to replace, HF is your place.
About $5 for the equivalent.
Lew
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 15:36:59 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Yup, I could buy a cheap knockoff from Harbour Freight for a lot less money. Then I could add on mailing costs, duty garbage and several weeks time waiting for it to come across the border into Canada.
Good idea Lew. I'll keep that idea in mind the next time I want to buy some cheap tool garbage.
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 19:14:47 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Well, we've got a Princess Auto which isn't too far removed. But, to tell the truth, the main reason I buy from Lee Valley aside from the quality of their tools is their service. I can search out cheap or quality tools almost anywhere. I *can't* get top notch service if I have a problem or complaint most places.
I'm just about to hit sixty and my wants have changed significantly. Take food as an example. When I was younger I mostly had quantity on my mind. That's changed and now I almost exclusively seek out quality. ~ That concept has transferred over to a significant portion of my life.

------------------------------------------------------ Rookie!!
Can certainly relate to your change in perspective of life.
Lew

------------------------------------------------------------------- It's NOT buying cheap garbage, it is the prudent utilization of ones available resources. <wink>
It's all a matter of perspective.
Lew
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 16:23:14 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Ok, I'll let you get away with that one. But, consider a significant amount of the comments posted here in regards to the cheap crap that floods into our North American market.
The demand for all the cheap shit has destroyed much of the quality goods markets that made us great in the first place. All that's left is for us to spiral down the drain. It's a slippery slope that there's not turning back from, at least not as far as I can see.
On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 19:39:06 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Sure, I know what you're saying. Taking the dead blow hammer that was under discussion, any cheap dead blow would likely do, I can't deny that. For me, it mostly comes down to what's easier or less time consuming. Cost often comes in third.
When it comes to tools, I like most of what Lee Valley sells. If I ever have any problem at all, they take care of it right away. One of their biggest stores is close to where I live. If I can't get there, my closest friend lives very close to one of their stores.
I've got a driver's license, but don't own a car. Because of the chair, for me to go running around or spreading my dollars a little more judiciously, it takes me considerable time than most. I guess my position is a little more unique that most, but it's what works for me. I'll even admit that I'm probably mired in my ways and not so inclined to change.
"Lew Hodgett"

--------------------------------------------------- It's pretty simple.
To paraphrase a famous country/western song:
You got the money, honey, I got the time,
You got no more money, honey, I got no more time.
There will always be a high end market.
The question remains, "Can you afford it?"
Lew

And there are places for the cheap crap. My brother works as a high steel welder. One of the companies he works for buys $40 angle grinders for work on site. Why? Because they grow legs and trip into the back of people's trucks.
But I think a lot of people simply have no clue that when a tool is advertised as "just like the pros use" it doesn't mean "professional quality work by people who are proud of their skill and craft", it means "anybody who can convince somebody else to part with some money".
My $0.02...
--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes
"Mike Marlow" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------- I use H/F for consumable items.
Gloves, chip brushes, pneumatic quick connect fittings, light weight bar clamps, bottle jacks, some pneumatic hand tools, etc.
Air hoses are strictly a consumable item, with Goodyear rubber hoses being the possible exception. The price has to reflect the fact they are throw away items.
I have yet to find an electric hand tool that can handle the fiberglass dust generated when working glass.
For working in glass, you have Milwaukee and you have Milwaukee.
Lew

Oh man Mike, that is almost like saying that it sucks that they don't have Obamacare up there. :-)

I'd bet even money that the HF model is identical to LVs except for color.

Buy one here and you'll have enough money left over to get 4 pounder too.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-12-lb-neon-orange-dead-blow-hammer-69003.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-lb-neon-orange-dead-blow-hammer-41800.html
and don't forget your free worklight, screwdrivers, and tape measure while you're there.
http://www.harborfreight.com/free-coupons2014.html

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 00:59:19 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lonestar.org (Larry W) wrote:

"Limit one FREE coupon per customer per day."
On Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:06:50 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

inside of the cavity. A ball dropped from one end of a cavity to the other is going to bounce.

It helps to cancel out the mallet bouncing back. I'm not arguing this poin t. We agree here.
There is bouncing in either case that results in an energy loss. This does n't address the deadblow's claimed increase in efficiency.
Hundreds (arbitrary) of shots smacking into the bottom of a cavity or a sho t filled cavity are going to bounce and bang around. The sum loss in energ y from the bounce back (including any collisions between each other) of eac h shot is going to be significant.
If you were to compare the efficiency of a deadblow's strike and a mallet o f equal mass and size (shot filled w/ no empty space), and take into accoun t the above, I wouldn't expect an increase in efficiency from the deadblow.
On 2/20/2014 2:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com wrote: ...

They're _not_ the same system and that _does_ make a difference in how they behave.