WOODEN MALLET

I've made one or two similar, but didn't need any plans. I used scrap plywood mostly. They work, but I don't like them. I muchly prefer turning round mallets on a wood lathe - MUCH better all around.

JOAT Never go to bed angry. Stay up and plot your revenge.

Reply to
J T

I work with lots of logs and limbs. I often cut limbs for mallet heads and handles and give them to anyone that may need a wooden mallet. I dress them in various ways: Wooden pegs to secure head to handle, leather straps from deer or cow hides (for the Native American look?), whatever strikes my fancy. Non-uniform limbs for handles can still be balanced and feel right when gripped, and they are all unique. All sizes, but as entertainment, any mallet with a head over 4" in diameter, when given to women folk friends, I've present it as being an "Attitude Adjuster", for their husbands!

On a bit of a similar note, a 15" - 20" long log, 15" (or about) in diameter, supported on 3 limb legs, makes for a nice shop work/chop block. The 3 legs allows it to stand on any slight uneven surface and remain very sturdy.

Reply to
Sonny

How well do they last though? My end-grain mallets (hornbeam) last much better against wear than the long grain of my turned mallets made with timber from the same tree.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mon, Feb 27, 2006, 8:04pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@codesmiths.com (Andy=A0Dingley) doth asketh: How well do they last though?

Depends. The smallest one (and lightest), out of pine, the dog got hold of somehow, and used it as a chew toy. Found it out in the yard - still use it, just has a smaller handle now. The rest are as good as now, including the largest (and heaviest), which has beat on engine blocks, wrenches, chisels, et al. Does have a few dings, but no splinters. That one is dogwood, the others vary between dogwood, pine, hickory - what I retrieved from hurricane downed trees on my place. I think they're at least seven years old, maybe older. I'll take a turned mallet any day, over a square one. I've got seven, varying woods, weights, sizes.

JOAT I'd like to give you a going away present. Just do your part.

Reply to
J T