Lubricating Delta DP 350 Drill Press

I am thinking about buying Delta DP 350 Drill Press. Here is my concern: according to the manual, the Delta variable transmission requires weekly lubrication. Is it mandatory when you don't use it too often.
What would happen if machine sits idle for 6 month with no weekly oiling?
Thanks
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:24:15 GMT, Alex

The neighbours will ask if you want to sell it, but other than that I wouldn't worry about it. It means under continuous use IMO, not idle time.
Greg

I'd think twice before buying one of those. The industrial variable speed setup didn't translate well into a bottom-rung drill press, and it doesn't give you a wider speed range than the normal belt drive. Unless you really need an infinite range, skip it.
GTO(John)
Excellent DP. I have had it for 1-year and no problems. I also use it with the mortise attachment for mortises.
"The industrial variable speed setup didn't translate well into a bottom-rung drill press"
What??
"and it doesn't give you a wider speed range than the normal belt drive."
DP350 ranges from 500 to 3100 rpm. When would you have an application that would require a speed outside of this range?

Putting a complicated system like that on a machine that needs to be low priced was a stretch. You might love yours, but I've heard of nothing but trouble with these things. Maybe they've improved it.
For a production shop that actually needs a variable speed drill press, they work out really well on the $800 models that are a good, time-tested design.

500 RPM is a very high low speed. Usually folks outgrow that pretty soon. That's why there's a big interest in jackshaft modifications for older DPs without a low speed range. Too high for a lot of metal work and some larger wood bits or hole saws. Good drill presses go down to somewhere in the 100-200 range. If you're going to spend $200 on a drill press, I'd rather have a bigger machine with a usable speed range instead of a benchtop with a variable speed system.
GTO(John)
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:24:15 GMT, Alex

no problem. lube it before you use it next.
for long term storage, like years, open it up and apply heavy grease to the shiny metal parts.
"Alex" Said:

Alex, I have the Delta 17-968 variable speed DP for a few years. I love it. The varaible speed allows you to use diffrent bits at the correct speed simple. The DP350 should serve you well.
Dave