Lubricating a vise.

I just picked up a morgan 200a quick release vise. This is bigger than my 3 other vises, and is quick release which none of my other vises are.

I took this beast apart and cleaned up all the gunk, and resins.

I was thinking of melting candle wax to use as lube, but am curious what others are using for lube on their half nuts. This is not a half nut, more like a 1/8 nut, it only turns one rotation. Quite interesting. I will mount on another bench to see if I like it.

Reply to
tiredofspam

For my vise parts and most moving things that are exposed to dust, I use a spray I make up by dissolving paraffin shavings in mineral spirits. I also use this on my saw table. The mineral spirits evaporates leaving an invisible film of paraffin wax.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Do you find the dissolved paraffin does a better job that using a good grade of car wax on you saw?

Reply to
k-nuttle

What about the old Johnson's amber paste wax????

Reply to
clare

tiredofspam wrote in news:XPGdnVbFg-QYyIbTnZ2dnUVZ_v- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

On the threads of my vises and the 3/4" or so round bars they slide on, I used some Lubriplate grease that originally came with our ultracentrifuges and was "leftover"

Reply to
Han

Never tried car wax. I have used Johnson's paste wax. I have this stuff in a pressure spray can (from Harbor Fright) and it is very convenient. If the surface is stained I spray then scrub with a green pad, wipe off with a paper towel then re-spray lightly. I like it because it is cheap, easy to use and I can make it myself. And it is a snap to apply to a vise screw or lathe tailstock screw. It doesn't collect dust like oil or grease.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Boe-lube or Boe-Sheild from Boeing is perhaps the BEST - but "best" doesn't come cheap.

Reply to
clare

Reply to
tiredofspam

Reply to
tiredofspam

Johnson's Wax is great stuff. Hmm, I wonder how my NuFinish car polymer would work on my saw, though. Sounds promising:

microspheres sound interesting, oui?

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Lubriplate? That brings back old memories. Isn't that a fairly thick, white lithium grease in a tub? We used it at Security Chevrolet in

1973 for hinges and door locks. When I wrenched later at a Ford dealership, we had a spray lithium grease that was just wonderful. I still buy it at AutoZone. It sprays in as a liquid, then hardens and stays in place.

-- Win first, Fight later.

--martial principle of the Samurai

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I got a little squeeze tube, from the leftovers ...

Reply to
Han

For my cast iron tops and adjusting screws inside my TS I use TopCote.

Reply to
Leon

Lubriplate is a relatively thin highly refined grease compared to wheel bearing grease, IMHO it is more like the lube in a grease gun. The white spray grease that dries to a dried wax like consistency was typically white lithium grease, similar to Lubriplate but dried thicker/harder.

Reply to
Leon

Ditto on the Boeshield T-9.

RicodJour

Boeshield is a no-brainer. You can use it for everything. Saw tops and anything else. There is absolutely zero dust or grit collection.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Dido, only way to go. I also use it on my pipe clamps, and on all my metal C clamp screws. I have 2 quick release wood vices and metal vice, use it on them as well.

Reply to
Jack Stein

I think TopCoat and Boeshield T-9 are pretty much interchangeable.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Dido? The former queen of carthage? The British singer? The Soccer player? The asteroid? The locomotive?

Or did you mean ditto, as in ditto-head?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Sorry, was letting my fingers do the walking...

Reply to
Jack Stein