Lowes vs. HD....

Page 1 of 4
So far, +5 vs 0.
The latest:
Had a last min. need for Arbor Vitaes, for some privacy issues. Spent 1/2 hr on the phone -- 30 solid minutes of mostly waiting on hold -- with HD, 4 different people, 2 hangups, 3 diff. stories. Ultimately, no arbor vitaes.
Called Lowes: No arbor vitaes, either. But, it only took me 20 seconds to glean this info. Boom, bang, done. Goodgawd....
Unfortly, no Lowes conventient to me, gotta pay a toll to NJ, always a traumatic event for me. If you google Westchester County, NY, you'll see 500 HDs, and not ONE Lowes.... I don't know what (or who) is behind that, but I'm sure there is some corruption at work.
HD is sumpn else.... I think shit service is their own personal artform, and I think managers are rewarded for it, bec undoubtedly shit service corresponds highly with cost savings for them. I'm sure seeing 3 out of 15 cashiers open, with long lines on each, just warms Management's heart.
--
EA

Existential Angst wrote:

Yup, an absolutely BRILLIANT strategy! Make sure no customer ever sets foot in the store, and you won't need any of that expensive staff.
Jon

What some stores grasp and most others do not is that if there is always a line at the registers, the sales volume will always be limited (one way or another) by the number of open registers times the rate at which the checkers ring stuff up. If stores want to maximize sales, there should never be a line. If there is any line at all, pausing the line for 5 minutes for a price check on a $2.00 item makes even less sense.
snipped-for-privacy@removethis.ix.netcom.com says...

There's actually a whole branch of math that deals in optimal strategies for managing checkout lines and the like. Google "Queuing Theory".
"Existential Angst" wrote:

<snip>
----------------------------------------------------- You expected to find garbage shrubs in stock in Westchester County.
Poor baby.
Lew

Don't know what your point is, but if you want to pay top dollar, there are plenty in stock in Westchester County. Sprain Brook has 8 footers for $450.... perty 'spensive garbage, eh? Windy Farms has'em for $65, but full sun only.
HD had'em for $20-35, depending on the type. And, there are proly a dozen varieties.
And yeah, it's late in the season.... so I took a shot.... And your point was......???
MY point was, 20 sec vs. 30 mins, plain and simple.... AND, this is not an isolated case. Getting info over the phone from HD is ALWAYS, without exception, a nightmare, and *almost* invariably incorrect. I've had them tell me stuff was NOT in stock, and it turns out it was in stock. Of course, much more the opposite case. Never fails at HD.
My conclusion is that shoddy service has become a sport with them. Esp. over here, where there are no Lowes to keep them on their toes -- no rhyme intended.
--
EA

> Lew

They're not set up to spend a lot of time with phone calls. That's part of the reason the prices are low. WRT Lowe's, the stores in the NY Metro area are much newer than HD, but more oriented toward women. They are seriously deficient in hardcore plumbing fittings, for example.

If I want plumbing, I go to a plumbing supply house....
If I want lumber, I go to a lumberyard....
If I want hardware, I go to a hardware store...
Anyone see a pattern here ?
Per PrecisionmachinisT:

This is probably totally moot to anybody's point but...
A long time ago, I was refitting the bathrooms in our house with new faucets.
I bought cartridge-operated ones from Kmart.
The same day, I went to a plumbing-supply store to buy a Delta brand lever-operated faucet for the kitchen sink.
Out of curiosity, I put one of the KMart faucets on the counter and asked "What's the difference between this and Delta?".
The guy behind the counter got red in the face and almost shouted "*This* is quality and *that* is SHIT!"
It's been 30+ years since that day and I've never had a problem with any of the bathroom faucets. Then I noticed that the local gym where I went for 10+ years used the same faucets.
OTOH, I've had to rebuild the Delta faucet in the kitchen at least five times..... -)
--
Pete Cresswell

Not at ALL impressed with Delta, myself. I like Price Pfister - have had very good results with their products over the years. The old Waltec stuff was good too.
wrote in

...And if you see me in a Home Depot (or Lowe's) I have hit rock bottom and have no other choice.

Yeah. Between them I've only spent a couple of grand in the last month.
On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:08:17 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"

Someone has some brains. If I just need a single something plumbin-wize I'll go to HD, Canadian Tire, or Home Hardware. If I need anything specialized or any amount, it's over to Marks Supply.
Electrical? Little stuff, the above. Anything specialized or any amout - over to Guilevans orWesco or whatever.
Hardware? depends - usually Home Hardware or Canadian Tire - HD if I'm headed that direction -
On Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:08:17 -0800, "PrecisionmachinisT"

Many don't sell to the general public.

I haven't seen one of those in a decade.

They're as rare as hens' teeth, too.

Sure. You're living in the past.
On 6 Dec 2012 03:00:13 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

Pretty much depends on where you life. Lots of lumberyards, hardware stores and plumbing supply houses.
They wont sell to the public? Bring in a business card. Even from someone you know and tell em thats you and open a cash account.
They really dont give a shit beyond following corporate rules. Sales are sales, expessially when its in cold hard green money.
Gunner
1. Lie 2. Repeat the lie as many times as possible 3. Have as many people repeat the lie as often as possible 4. Eventually, the uninformed believe the lie 5. The lie will then be made into some form oflaw 6. Then everyone must conform to the lie
Gunner wrote:

There were lumberyards around here that required a copy of your business license, and tax certificate before you could set up an account. One now has very few customers, and a lot of 'OPEN TO THE PUBLIC!!!' But after 25+ years of telling people to go away, they are in no hurry to deal with them.

    And you can get business cards printed all sorts of places. Or at home, even.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr

Pretty much.

I haven't even seen a real lumber yard or what I'd call a real hardware store in years. I never frequented plumbing supply houses - they didn't like walk-in business so I always avoided them.

I don't know any plumbers. Sorry. Not going to happen. If they don't want my business I'm not going to force them to do business.

Actually, many do. Some would rather not piss off their customers than make what few bucks I'd bring them. I found plumbing houses especially didn't want my business (electrical were much more willing to take my dead presidents).
snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

I prefer to pull my own lumber, rather than let them load up a lot of rejects.

The biggest jerks that I ever ran into were at a HVAC wholesaler. They refused to sell me some duct board about 25 years ago. I asked the manager his full name so he could be mentioned on the air at the TV station, and told him that I didn't want to blame the wrong guy for refusing to sell to a Christian TV station. His eyes went wide, and he yelled at one of his workers to pull what I wanted, then gave me 'D' column pricing. They even loaded it into my truck without being asked. :)
We weren't doing any HVAC work, we needed to block the sides of the water chillers on the transmitter to bring the coolant to normal operating temperature, before we flushed the transmitter and refilled it with distilled water & antifreeze.
On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 14:03:52 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"

Agreed. I don't even let the "help" at the Borg help me. I'll take my time, and yes, the pile will be as neat when I leave as when I got there, if picked over. ;-)

That makes three. ;-)

;-)