Low-Angle Smooth Plane

Further to that Veritas Low-Angle Smooth Plane I bought about a week ago, I received the A2 blade for it in the mail yesterday.
Man is that thing sharp. The instructions for the blade immediately warn you to be careful with the blade and of course being the dumb ass I am, I immediately slice my finger on it.
Tested the edge on a really thick plastic bag. Cut it like a razor blade. So, now that I've personally initiated my plane with my blood, it's time to make some shavings.
Next stop down the slippery slope: a Veritas right hand plow plane. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pW678&cat=1,230,41182
Interestingly enough, for left handers, Lee Valley will exchange a previously purchased right hand plow plane and blades for a new left hand plow plane and blades, shipping and handling the only cost. Can't beat service like that.

There are no stops on that slope, you just grab things as you fly by, the slope getting steeper and slicker as you go....
It's a fun ride, though.
On 11/12/2009 7:50 AM Joe spake thus:

"Test thumb on blade", eh?
You do know that the best way to safely test a blade's sharpness is to use your thumbNAIL, right?
--
Who needs a junta or a dictatorship when you have a Congress
blowing Wall Street, using the media as a condom?
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

Are you trying to spread your tool lust??? It's contagious! : ) I hope you enjoy the peace and quiet of your new hand tools!
Bill

Spread it? Hell no. I figured by this time it was pretty much pandemic. In any case, I'm blaming Leon for infecting me. Him and his damned Festools.
On 11/12/2009 08:12 AM, snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

You can probably get it sharper. They usually don't come honed. :)

I was laying hardwood flooring and doing a little bit of chisel work. Cut myself nicely but the chisel was sharp enough that the only reason I noticed was that there were these red smears on the flooring.

I used mine when I had to add grooves to some flooring boards late at night. Worked great. Make sure the edges of the fence are eased so that you don't mar the surface the fence rides against. You can also add an auxiliary wooden fence.
Also...set it for the thickest shavings you can manage. Makes the job go much quicker. Tearout at the bottom of a groove isn't normally a problem.
Chris