Loudspeaker cabinets. (From Monster Cable tread)

I was surprised (pleasantly) to see so many wreckers participate in the Monster Cable thread. I have always had an interest in building loudspeaker cabinets. I have used drivers made by KEF, Audax, Dynaudio, JBL woofers and have built a variety of electrostatic speakers. So here's my request: Who, in this group, has built their own speaker cabinets and how did they turn out? I would like to hear from you. I think it is a fascinating hobby, but the audiophile type newsgroups are too fringe for my liking. Has anybody ever built transmssion line cabinets?
Rob
to e-mail me, remove BULL from my addy.
BTW, my company, Topworks, was spawned from experiments I was doing with materials for speaker boxes. Granite makes for nice speakers, so does solid surface.
"Robatoy" wrote in message

I still use two bass cabinets I built back in the 80's. AAMOF, I just humped them out of my truck from a gig about an hour ago ... and for some reason they are a helluva lot heavier than they used to be. :)
Actually, I copied them inch for inch from the old Dietz design of early RocknRoll days, but I experimented with, and modified the porting. I have a vintage Altec 15" in one, and a twenty year old JBL 15" in the other. Identical in size, they stack for festivals and large venues, one port up and one down, or just use one for smaller clubs.
One of my current band mates, a mathematician and speaker designer, is a partner in both Nova Audio and Threshold Audio, so we talk trash on speaker design quite often. I have a pair of Nova's +$5K near fields in the studio at the moment that he designed and fabricated, and that I've been *testing* for him. He's gonna play hell getting them back.
Now, if I can just score one of those Threshold amps ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
Robatoy wrote:

. . .

This page talks about building speakers. I worked with the guy, he seems to know his stuff. Not a woodworkingsite, but might be interesting. http://www.clothedandy.com/Voight%20Pipes/index.html

Fascinating! All makes sense 'cept the whizzer cone. (IM distorionis bad on those) Easy cabinet to make too. Looks kinda cool in unfinished pine.
No wonder I like this business. There is no end to the way you can achieve a good sound for little money and end up with a piece of art/furniture in the process... not to mention the hours of working in the woodshop..you see..these hobbies ARE related.
I built my first set of speakers in the 70s. Radio Shack had a book on building speaker enclosures. The book described several types of cabinets and had the equations necessary to match the cabinet to the speakers. I don't know if the book is still available.
Grant
Robatoy wrote:

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:06:55 -0600, Grant P. Beagles

I've built a few from the Theile-Small paramaters. My current favorite program for that now is Win-ISD, which has an excellent database of drivers.
Monster is crap. It's inconceivable to me that anyone with a HS Physics course would fall for their malarkey.
Call me a packrat, but I still have that book :)
Building Speaker Systems Speakers for Your Listening Pleasure Radio Shack 62-1087 By: Gordon McComb 1988 Developed and Published by Master Publishing, Inc. (Richardson, Texas).
Grant P. Beagles wrote:

|Call me a packrat, but I still have that book :) | |Building Speaker Systems |Speakers for Your Listening Pleasure |Radio Shack 62-1087 |By: Gordon McComb |1988 |Developed and Published by Master Publishing, Inc. |(Richardson, Texas).
I believe he's talking about:
"Building Speaker Enclosures" David Weemes (Second edition) 1984 Cat. No. 62-2309 TAB Books, Inc. Blue Ridge Summit, PA 17214
Another pack rat.
ranted:

Hey, I have one of his robotics books.