Lots of cutting and routering so it is not OT

used a biscuit joiner:

also painted the detail on the appliqu=E9. A well known master at gold leaf, he's willing to teach me.

sum it up: David got the gig based on his reputation. He came to me for font selection and model lay-out. I then cut it in 2 pieces 4 x 8 x 2" sign foam on my cnc and wrestled with the method of registration, but got some help from the fine folk at the ShopBot Forum and toolpatch detail advice at Vectric Forum.

Reply to
Robatoy

Hrrmf! You suck

Nice design and first-class execution. Good job!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

RE: Subject

I'm a sucker for well executed marine facilities.

NICE.

Where is the install?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Robatoy" wrote

David also painted the detail on the appliqué. A well known master at gold leaf, he's willing to teach me.

To sum it up: David got the gig based on his reputation. He came to me for font selection and model lay-out. I then cut it in 2 pieces 4 x 8 x 2" sign foam on my cnc and wrestled with the method of registration, but got some help from the fine folk at the ShopBot Forum and toolpatch detail advice at Vectric Forum. =================

Looks good. I assume that it is durable and will last a long time.

Gold leaf, eh? Does Angela need anything gold leafed?

Tell me, which is easier to move around? The sign foam or the granite countertops?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Robatoy

marina wasn't there my last trip thru (1989).

How long has it been there?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

The main part was there in the 60's already. The section that curls SE was behind the Guildwood. The two northern slips were dug mid 80's.

Reply to
Robatoy

Thankee. I definitely was challenged by the sheer scope of the project. That HDU is not cheap. The preview in Aspire proved to be invaluable.

Yup gold leaf. That stuff is cool. I know it is difficult because after 30+ years, this guy makes it look easy... that's always the tip- off. Leaf will be fine for Angela, she couldn't care less about jewelry.

Countertops? Whassa countertop?

Reply to
Robatoy

Reply to
Robatoy

The main part was there in the 60's already. The section that curls SE was behind the Guildwood. The two northern slips were dug mid 80's.

------------------------------------------ Don't remember having access to the river from the Canadian side.

The channel is on the Michigan side.

All I can remember to get to the Canadian side was from L Huron.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Two marinas (now 3) The Sarnia Yacht Club (Where Bob Seger keeps a boat) and Bridgeview Marina which is the one you see in the picture. They both were there in the 60's. Sarnia Bay Marina is new and full of huge stink boxes from the USA.

Reply to
Robatoy

Two marinas (now 3) The Sarnia Yacht Club (Where Bob Seger keeps a boat) and Bridgeview Marina which is the one you see in the picture. They both were there in the 60's. Sarnia Bay Marina is new and full of huge stink boxes from the USA.

----------------------------------- Sarnia YC I remember well, staffed with some of the craziest Canucks I've ever had the pleasure of hoisting a few.

Going up would stay on the Black River side knowing it was an hour grind to get in into L Huron where you could hoist sail.

All I remember about the Ontario side of StClair River were all the Sun Oil fuel tanks.

Just must have missed the marina.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Beautiful work! I really love the boat and lighthouse. I'm a sucker too for all things nautical. Great talent. Wish I could do that. ;) `Casper

Reply to
Casper

Thanks, David is a talented sign painter and has been written up in magazines like SignCraft. He participates in 'Letterhead' workshops from Ireland, British Columbia, New Orleans, California''' all over the place. He's found that balance between "don't worry about it, nobody gets close enough to see this" to insisting on detail.

The morning light shows the gold leaf nicely.

Robatoy

It is perfectly obvious this project benefited from top notch talent in all aspects.

Beautiful work of art!

Reply to
Swingman

Art, eh? That's the 'A' word. We don't like to use that so readily as there are many who deserve that much more than us. BUT... we'll take it! Oh, and thanks. That's the collaboration's goal and that is to add to the functionality of the sign. The client could have gone for a slab of MDO and slap a roll of printed vinyl on it. Same functionality. But tasteless. David's pricing had gone through the roof as he used to carve a lot of 3D signs by hand. Now we can offer a similar quality with much better preview ability and a serious reduction in cost, yet maintain solid margins. But the creative abilities aren't restricted in any way, in fact, many options are now available that previously were cost prohibitive.

I sold a sign to a top-notch local European Deli just yesterday. I lay- out and carve and prime (yay Titan airless), David paints for a set fee, and David and his brother hang it (insurance and all that rot.).

If I do just one of those per month, I'd be happy with my new hobby business. Keeps me in tires.

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:4874421c-741e-4cff-85b2- snipped-for-privacy@40g2000vbr.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

It's a horizontal surface especially designed to attract and collect junk.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On Thu, 20 May 2010 09:23:58 -0500, Swingman wrote the following:

Yeah, great sign. 3-D, no less.

Swingy, thanks for quoting the entire message. I no longer get Toy's posts after engaging the gmail filter.

-- The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been. -- Madeleine L'Engle

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I try to only do that on posts with content worth repeating, or with a bunch of good links ... a subjective judgment many may not agree with, but what the hell, it's my damn keyboard. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

So, IOW, if I want to tell C-less to go piss up a rope, I have to use this channel? . . . too much work.

. . . . .

Reply to
Robatoy