Looking to Increase Friction...

Hi, I'm wanting to increase the friction on the soles of some shoes and/or sneakers. Anybody have have a suggestion for something I can 'paint' on the shoes to reduce the liklihood of slipping? Thanks

Reply to
none

Buy a new pair of sneakers. yours are probably worn out. Try sanding the bottom on a belt sander to get some unpolished material exposed.

Reply to
woodchucker

snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No suggestions of a paint, but I'd probably try using something like shelf liner and shoe goo. Remember, the shoe has to flex quite a bit so anything on there needs to be able to handle that.

A temporary fix that worked on a pair of flip flops was to cut grooves in the bottom using my pocket knife. It worked, but the flip flops wore smooth again. The permanent solution was to find a quality pair of flip flops. (As a bonus, they've lasted longer.)

PL Premium might work, but I'm not sure how well it'd adhere to shoes.

I might be tempted to try shoe goo and shelf liner, but I've got no idea how that would wear.

Do you have a shoe repair place you could contact? I know a good one in IL, but if I recall you're in Canada around the great lakes.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

---------------------------------------- Ground walnut shells and barge cement.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

+1 Probably the best suggestion so far. Got a belt sander with clogged sandpaper? What do you use to clean it to extend its service life? Yep, a bar of gum rubber. Pretty close to sneaker soles if you ask me. Kill two birds with one stone!

;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Arrr! Are we talkin' barnacles here?

-BR

Brewster

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Something like this might work:

On the other hand, it might just melt your sneakers.

Illegal to use at most race tracks, incidently.

(on a serious note, it would probably be cheaper and more effective to paint whatever it is you're standing on to make it less slippery.)

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Hey, if it's THAT strong, maybe he could glue on bottle caps...beer or coke or both :)

Reply to
dadiOH

On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 15:47:03 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

The reason why I'm searching on this topic might help. I use a wheelchair, but I can do standing transfers. However, when I do stand, I don't have typical leg control and my legs are on an angle when I stand and my feet tend to slide out from underneath me.

I'm seeking to have them not slide out from underneath me. That's what I'm seeking to prevent.

Reply to
upscale

Clean the soles (soap and water, finish with an isopropyl wipe) and apply some Shoe Goo. Level it with

**woodworking content here** a popsicle stick, and when the stuff dries you'll have a good friction surface.
Reply to
whit3rd

Since you won;t be putting a lot of miles on, and you don;t need long life, just get good crepe soled shoes, Clarks Wallabies or Sketcher Shape Up SR

Reply to
clare

For your purpose, just glue some 80 grit sandpaper to the soles. Cloth backed would be most durable.

There are also those strips meant to stick on the bottom of the tub, no idea if they would be more or less durable than the cloth backed paper.

Reply to
dadiOH

----------------------------------------------- Back to barge cement and some sheets of 36-60 grit cloth backed wet/dry and it's time for a beer.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Or try some spray glue, let it dry and it should be tacky enough to accomplish them from slipping

Reply to
ChairMan

There is also stairway tread strips that could be GOOPed on. Near as I can tell the various flavors of GOOP and Shoe Goo are the same thing.

Reply to
pentapus

Click the link than view "images" for further ideas:

Bill

Reply to
Bill