Looking for router lift recommendations

Page 1 of 3
    I have an old Jessem first generation router lift. Was nice at the time but it has too many faults (no above table bit changes without a collet extension, will sink a little with vibration, the plate is about twice as big as new ones and it places the bit too far from the miter slot, etc.)     I am looking to buy another router lift and router and want to make sure I make the right purchase this time. I would consider a router/lift combo if the some of the features are only available from a lift using a certain router...     The most important thing to me is that I can do above table bit changes and that it is rock solid nuts on accurate. If I set it at 1/4 inch height and run 200 feet of wood through it I want it to still be at 1/4 on the last board.
TIA

My Benchdog has been perfect. For bit changes, I use my drill to run it up/down quickly and use the hand wrench to make adjustments as fine as you could ever want.

Whoa! I though you were getting the mud bugs from Randall's....
Leon wrote:

LOL ... thought that might get a rise out of you! ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Would we like COLD Fosters with the bugs?

How important is the router lift? The Triton TRC001 router offers above the table bit changes all by itself and has a reputation for being a solid router. I don't own one yet, but am considering the purchase of one even though I already have a Makita plunge router. Ping Leon with any questions you have for his Triton router.
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/tritonrouter.htm
wrote in message

Is Triton gear still available in the US? I know they are in receivership in Australia. I have been waiting for someone to take it over so that I can get spare parts for a 3 in 1 Sander.
Steve

Can't answer that as I'm in Canada. Their routers are still available as I've seen them in stores. Try contacting them at http://www.tritonwoodworking.com /
Upscale wrote:

1. Go to froogle.com - same as http://www.google.com/products 2. Search on "triton router". 3. Take your pick of sellers.
Anyone who's on the internet should know enough to use a search engine to find stuff.

Ooooo!
I'm glad I chose the Trend then not the Triton.

I have the first generation Rout-R-Lift by JessEm also and solved the problem of changing bits easily. CMT used to offer a selection of bent wrenches designed specifically for the routers they were selling at the time. No more pulling the whole lift and router out to change a bit.
I wouldn't want to stop you from buying a new toy but JessEm has several new models that should satisfy your needs.
Bob S.
I went with the woodpecker lift (the original 1/32 pitch one) and, aside from it being "tight" (good for routing, harder on the crank) I've found no fault in it.
http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/router / http://www.woodpeck.com/precisionrouterlift.html
I also use a woodpeck lift with a DW621. You can adjust the elevation screw to be less tight and it cranks easier. I couldn't be happier with the setup. It's super quiet with no noticeable vibration.
For the original poster, if your current router lift is drifting down then you need to lock the height adjustment on your router. I don't think most lifts are designed to lock the height in place. Vibration from the router will make the adjustment screw drift.
On Fri, 29 May 2009 03:31:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

I have a Jet Xacta lift and use an old Ryobi RE600 (before Ryobi was complete junk) in it. I'm quite happy with the setup and am planning to put it in my saw's extension table to free up floor space. I hope I'm happy with the setup. I use both pretty regularly.
snipped-for-privacy@myplace.com wrote:

If it were me I'd rather get something like this:
http://grizzly.com/products/3-4-HP-Shaper/G0510Z
That way, you still have your old router when you need it, as a router, and will have a real shaper when you need it. The lift mechanism on my shaper is flawless and changing bits is a snap. I don't have, or know anything about the one above, but I bet it's better than most routers used as a shaper...
It's also nice to have both, I often have one setup in the shaper, and a different one in the router, saves a lot of fussing with set-ups.
--
Jack
Go Penns!

Considering what a good router and table cost, that's a great idea. I know "HP" is a debatable topic, but the 3/4 HP would worry me, especially on something designed for such large cutters heads. Their 1-1/2HP is on sale for 500 bucks.
--

-MIKE-

That looks like a real HP rating though, probably equal to a 3 HP router.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Oh hell yeah; the cutter is belt driven by a beefy induction motor. *Way* more powerful than my 3HP Makita router.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

Yeah, then I guess I just don't understand HP and how it's rated on different machines and motors and whatnot.
*I'll take for granted the opinion of a trusted, knowledgeable guy like Steve.
(*That's for the nice things said about me to that douche nozzle over in rmmp.) :-)
--

-MIKE-

Most motors are rated in horsepower or kilowatts as a measure of the output power. 1 HP is about 745 watts.
Some motors, though, are made to sound more powerful by using a different method. They lock up the motor shaft and measure the power just before it stalls. It takes a lot of watts that way and sounds better in advertising brochures.