Little OT but involves wood and windows

Hello,
Not a full woodworking question but this group has a lot of good ideas
I am replacing my 20 year old wooden windows with new construction windows. Basically the entire existing window comes out, new window goes in. My issue is that some of the rough openings may need to be about a 1/8 inch bigger on either side. 1/4 total increase. I have used a belt sander and 60 grit paper for the first one. Took just a few minutes to do. About 3 hours to clean up afterwards. About two days of silence from my wife after that.
Anyone have any ideas how I can reduce the cleanup time? I am OK with the time for the job and the silence part after that.
2 x 6 studs if that matters to get a smaller window I would have to get custom made or one that is 4" thinner.
Larry C

Tape up some plastic sheeting over the opening and when you're done widening it, dump the sheeting out the window and then install the new window?
-Nathan

Tape up some plastic sheeting over the opening and when you're done widening it, dump the sheeting out the window and then install the new window?
-Nathan
Thanks Nathan
That makes total sense. I feel like a bit if an idiot for not thinking that. I was thinking along the lines of a power hand planer. Less dust, more filings.
Unfortunately if I use the plastic method I will not have to buy a power hand planer.
Larry C
Larry C wrote: ...

I'd probably use a Skilsaw set at the depth to remove; make several passes across the length then split off between the cuts. Easy enough to do the cut at the top/bottom corners w/ handsaw. A drawknife would be ideal for the hacking, probably although a wide chisel would do of course.
Larry C wrote:

The plastic sheeting is an excellent idea, and the amount of dust might be substantially reduced if you purchased a top-o-the-line hand planer - just watch out for mails. A wand-type metal detector might be a wise investment. Don't forget safety equipment... ;-)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Larry C wrote:

While a power planer will do much of the job, it doesn't get into corners very well.
If you've never used one though, plan on practicing before you use it in anger.--it's very, very easy to turn a straight edge into one with a bow.
A router with a suitable jig might be a better bet. The Bosch Colt with the offset base will get very close to a corner.
--John

Seems the simplest solution would be to do the same thing but work from the inside of the house with a fan at your back set on Hi. Or Use a Skil saw to make many relief cuts to the depth you want and then chisel out the rest.
"Larry C" wrote:

Sounds like it is time for a hand held power planer.
BTW, hang plastic sheeting to direct chipd outside.
Lew
On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 14:31:45 -0500, "Leon"

Sawzall is your friend for this job. Installers around here use them. You can just cut in as far as you need to and split out with a wide chisel (can use a skill saw too, but a "nail eater" blade on the sawzall isn't fussy WHAT gets in the way.
Larry C wrote:

1/8" on each side? Have you tried a 3 lb. mini sledge?
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA