Linseed Oil

I recently built the first of two matching nightstands. I am using Linseed Oil(boiled) as I really like the way it brings out the grain. I am currently working with red oak and am a little concerned about number of, and thickness of coats of oil I should apply. New to this group and have only been building furniture about three years. I have mostly worked with Pine(bookshelves and small tables) up until last six months when I was blessed with a pile of rough red oak will attempt my first piece with a drawer next. It will be the match to the nightstand on my side of bed I just completed(my wife wanted a drawer). Anyway would appreciate any feedback.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:
> I recently built the first of two matching nightstands. I am using > Linseed Oil(boiled) as I really like the way it brings out the grain. I > am currently working with red oak and am a little concerned about > number of, and thickness of coats of oil I should apply. <snip>
Like you, I also like BLO as a finish.
The instructions should be on the can of BLO.
1 part BLO, 2 part Turps.
Apply thin coats with a rag, allow plenty of time between coats.
Red oak, due to its porous nature, is probably going to soak up a lot of BLO.
Be patient.
When it won't soak up any more and dry, you're done<G>.
My guess is at least 5-6 coats.
Don't know where you live, but wouldn't try to apply BLO unless the ambient temp is at least 60F.
Are you going to wax over the BLO?
Lew

Note the importance of reducing the viscosity so you don't get the problem of blowing bubbles with the porous red oak.