light switch for 220V circuit?

Hello, I'm upgrading my DC to one that requires 220Volts.
Currently, I use light switches to turn on my DC. When I rewire, is it safe to use 20A lightswitches on a 220 V line? The switches appear to be rated by amps, but maybe they just assume you are only using 110 .. Thus, I am asking. If it's unsafe, is there a source where I can buy a safe 220V switch (I'm sure the Borg won't carry it).
Thanks in advance.
Hello, I'm upgrading my DC to one that requires 220Volts.
Currently, I use light switches to turn on my DC. When I rewire, is it safe to use 20A lightswitches on a 220 V line? The switches appear to be rated by amps, but maybe they just assume you are only using 110 .. Thus, I am asking. If it's unsafe, is there a source where I can buy a safe 220V switch (I'm sure the Borg won't carry it).
Thanks in advance.

Hey bf, I hope I am not insulting your intelligence with this comment but the main reason to use a switch rated for 220v is because both leads going in are hot and the double pole/single throw switch isolates both "hots" when when off (or open). And yes, like the others stated, these switches are available from the BORG, at least in my (red)neck of the woods. When you rewire, are you going with your existing wire too? What gauge is that? I can't quote codes but I think 14 gauge might be too small for most 220v motors and their respective current demands. It would not hurt if you ran a larger guage for this machine. (Twelve is a good size)
Marc

Nope, you aren't insulting my intelligence at all.. great info by you, Toller, and Chris. I am going to use 12 guage, but I had no clue what a double pole switch was. Thanks!

HP of your DC or it won't last long.
bf wrote:

You need a double-pole switch (which the borg actually does carry) so that you switch both of the hots. Also, ideally your switch would be rated for the HP of your motor, not just the amperage. Generally the HP rating of standard lightswitches is fairly low.
Chris
There are a few ways to do this. Depending on where your switch and the 220V power is located you may also want to use a relay. A realy is a low voltage unit that when the low voltage switch is turned on it powers a magnet and that magnet switches that 220V power at the machine on. Depending on the use I either use the relay or the 220V switch.