lesson learned: reading Venier scales

I posted a week or 2 or 3 ago re: how to read a Venier scale. A couple wreckers posted a couple different sites (e.g.:

which were very helpful.

But ....... the caliper I have is manufactured by ELCC (El Cheapo Caliper Company, i.e. General), and those teeny-tiny measurements still didn't jive. So I had to figure it out myself.

The websites assume that the primary caliper scale increments are the same as the Venier scale (i.e. the primary scale has 1/8" increments, and there are 8 Venier scale intervals). The resulting readout is then read in 1/64" increments (1/8*1/8).

But my ECCC caliper has a a primary scale that has 1/16" increments and 8 Venier increments, which clearly didn't produce results that jived w/ my rule. In this case, the 1/16" primary measurements and the 8 Venier increments result in readouts of 1/128" (1/8*1/16).

The measurements jive precisely. All is well in the universe. (Except the trolls.)

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

I forgot to mention when I posted that sight, there are different veneer scales :) I guess I don't need to tell you now.

Reply to
CW

All will be better if you use "jibe" instead of "jive."

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I work in mm and have no problems with scales on my vernier :-) That is quite a neet site ! Regards George SA

Reply to
George SA

I stand corrected, and the world's a better place.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:51:56 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt" pixelated:

You have one more lesson to learn, JB. It's spelled "vernier".

It's Franch, meaning "damned hard to read with these old eyes"

---- A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it.

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Thanks for that response. It's so easy for people to go ballistic when something is pointed out to them. I meant no ill, but that's hard to convey in print.

Actually, the internet is quite amusing. I see so many phrases and words used incorrectly that are clearly from the user having only heard them spoken and not ever having seen them in print. "Walla" (instead of voila) is a case in point.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I looked it up and "viola!" Larry was right. I'll correct my spelling so it jibes with Webster's.

I'm glad we got all this straightened out.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Heh, heh. Answering two posts with one. I love it.

However...

A viola is a 20% larger violin. "Voila" is the word in question...

Unless you did that on purpose...

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:59:22 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt" pixelated:

This may go on forever. That's "voilà!", bub. I give up. ;)

- Metaphors Be With You -

Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Damn! I was really trying to get one past you guys. But noooOOOOooo...

And don't call me "bub" please.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

Again answering two posts with one...

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:13:28 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt" pixelated:

OK, J-bub. Saaaay, you any relation to...