lesson learned: reading Venier scales

I posted a week or 2 or 3 ago re: how to read a Venier scale. A couple wreckers posted a couple different sites (e.g.: http://members.shaw.ca/ron.blond/Vern.APPLET /) which were very helpful.
But ....... the caliper I have is manufactured by ELCC (El Cheapo Caliper Company, i.e. General), and those teeny-tiny measurements still didn't jive. So I had to figure it out myself.
The websites assume that the primary caliper scale increments are the same as the Venier scale (i.e. the primary scale has 1/8" increments, and there are 8 Venier scale intervals). The resulting readout is then read in 1/64" increments (1/8*1/8).
But my ECCC caliper has a a primary scale that has 1/16" increments and 8 Venier increments, which clearly didn't produce results that jived w/ my rule. In this case, the 1/16" primary measurements and the 8 Venier increments result in readouts of 1/128" (1/8*1/16).
The measurements jive precisely. All is well in the universe. (Except the trolls.)
-JBB
I forgot to mention when I posted that sight, there are different veneer scales :) I guess I don't need to tell you now.

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:51:56 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

All will be better if you use "jibe" instead of "jive."
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net

I stand corrected, and the world's a better place.
-JBB
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:12:51 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

Thanks for that response. It's so easy for people to go ballistic when something is pointed out to them. I meant no ill, but that's hard to convey in print.
Actually, the internet is quite amusing. I see so many phrases and words used incorrectly that are clearly from the user having only heard them spoken and not ever having seen them in print. "Walla" (instead of voila) is a case in point.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
I work in mm and have no problems with scales on my vernier :-) That is quite a neet site ! Regards George SA

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:51:56 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

You have one more lesson to learn, JB. It's spelled "vernier".
It's Franch, meaning "damned hard to read with these old eyes"
---- A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it. http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
I looked it up and "viola!" Larry was right. I'll correct my spelling so it jibes with Webster's.
I'm glad we got all this straightened out.
-JBB
pixelated:

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:59:22 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

Heh, heh. Answering two posts with one. I love it.
However...
A viola is a 20% larger violin. "Voila" is the word in question...
Unless you did that on purpose...
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:59:22 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

This may go on forever. That's "voil!", bub. I give up. ;)
- Metaphors Be With You - http://diversify.com Web Application Programming

Damn! I was really trying to get one past you guys. But noooOOOOooo...
And don't call me "bub" please.
-JBB
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:13:28 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

Again answering two posts with one...
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:13:28 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"

OK, J-bub. Saaaay, you any relation to...
- Metaphors Be With You - http://diversify.com Web Application Programming