left tilt saw and measuring

Page 2 of 3
DonkeyHody wrote:

I've found the same to be true even on my Ridgid TS3650 stock fence.

Yeah but can you get it to within two THOUSANDTHS? ;-)
"Kevin" wrote

Mine is a Uni-fence on a Unisaw ... it is precision personified, and the fence ruler happens to correspond _perfectly_ to my two favorite Stanley 12' rulers, a rare and happy circumstance in the shop and one to take every advantage of, and to cherish til death do us part.
HOWEVER, the operator is often NOT precision personified ... he has been known to set the fence to 23 3/8" instead of the required 23 5/8", or somesuch ... and on more than one occasion.
Therefore, and when working with expen$ive wood, the requirement to verify, verify ... and verify again.
... nuff said.
(Maybe you just haven't reached that "certain" age?)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

And as testament to the accuracy of your Unifence and some one else's Jet Bies clone fence is that they both cut parts on 2 different saws and they all fit together. ;~)
"Swingman" wrote:

"Measure twice, cut once" or whatever floats your boat.
Lew

Exactly, that is the reason to use a tape. Some times a measurement looks totally different when the fraction of an inch is on the other side of the whole number. ;~)
With an upside down backward tape measure I was often known to adjust 23 and 1/4" to actually cut 22 and 3/4".

Then you have to turn it over and cut the other side to get it right.
wrote in message

Ohhhh..

If I stopped at the second measurement, nothing would fit!
I like the saying "you can always remove more wood, but you can't add any." (There's also "Cut it twice and it's still too short!!!")
Puckdropper
marching band.

As someone else once said,
"You can always cut more off, but you can't cut MORON!"
On 2008-02-25 12:50:30 -0500, "Kevin"

You mean people actually *USE* those goofy stick-on rules glued to the fence rail?
I don't!

is not reliable.

I suppose I could loosen the screws and move the pointer, but I just don't trust it.
My default is to use the rule between the fence and the blade...or use bar stock for setting height, etc.
Then you don't have to worry about whether the pointer or the fence rail or the part of the fence that holds the pointer moved, or the plastic lens that holds the reticle bent, or had its refractive index change, or the lines of the planet's magnetic flux shifted, or whatever.
The fewer links in the chain, and simpler the sequence of events the better, I figure. YMMV.
wrote in message

A few years ago, my nephew was in the high school marching band. When it was time for the local Christmas parade, my sister - proud parent that she was - videotaped the band as they passed by. Christmas Day we were all gathered around the television to re-live his moment of glory. As we all watched the video, my nephew exclaimed, "Hey look, everybody's out of step but me!"
Keep doing it your way Jones, everybody's out of step but you.
DonkeyHody "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that is in it - and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again---and that is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark Twain
said:

If you had a good fence you would not give it a second thought.

I usta do that when I had a piss poor fence.

Measuring between the blade and the fence increases those links and chance for error. If you don't hold the rule perpendicular to the blade or fence you can end up with a cut that is too narrow. Most all modern fences these days offer repeatable accuracy.

Ain't that why they put a square end on the Starrett rule?
(Yep, everybody knows those Powermatic 66s are a POS.)
Rock on.
said:

Yeah, If you have a PM 66. Not likely you have one and cannot depend on the fence to give you good readings.

You worry too much. With my old saw, I'd agree. With my Delta and Beisemeyer fence, the shortest and fewest links is to trust the fence as it is accurate and repeatable and firmly locks to where the line is pointing on the scale. More accurate than a shifting fence when you lock it after measuring.
Sorry you have an inadequate tool.

Be nice, Edwin. He already has issues, and now you want to give him fence envy.
DonkeyHody "If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail." - Abraham Maslow