Lee Valley/Veritas Drum-Sander Support System

Okay, maybe most of the people here are pros/advanced hobbyists, and maybe most of you already have a dedicated spindle sander. Or just already knew about Lee Valley's product, so I'm not telling you anything new here.

But for those of you, like me, who are just getting started and have already blown the hell out of your budget on the woodshop "neccessities," let me give you the following advice for the below product:

IT!!

I never understood the wisdom of putting drum sanders onto drill presses, figuring that they would eventually destroy the accuracy of the drill press. This will take your fear away. I chucked-it-up last night, and DAMN this thing is sweet. I now have the ability to machine-sand curves, and it cost me a whopping $30 for the drum sanders, bearing support, and replacement shafts you need to use the bearing support. It works like a charm.

Standard disclaimer: No affiliation with LV, just a damn happy customer.

Reply to
wood_newbie

For another $65 you could have an OSS... (Ryobi makes a good one in that price range--I'm no Ryobi fan, but they got it right on that tool)

Dave

Reply to
David

That's only if you can find one, which you can't. Neither of the BORGS carry it, nor do any of the other places I checked.

And besides, with that $65 I can buy countless other things I need more.

The whole point of the post was that the LV is a great product, and at $30 it's a steal.

Reply to
wood_newbie

HD USED to carry it. They keep dropping stuff, like the Bessy clamps. Now and then I see a couple sizes of the K bodies at Lowes. I'm still waiting for my local HD to get in the DeWALT slider.

Dave

Reply to
David

I know...HD firesaled them out at 49 freakin' &^%$ bucks at the first of the year.

Now THAT was a deal to have jumped on!

My Lowes carries the Besseys pretty consistently, but I'm lucky enough to live near some dedicated woodworking retail stores, so I always buy there to support them. I might pay about $2 more per clamp than Lowes, but it's worth it to me.

I even managed to get to the Woodcraft here before they ran out!!

Reply to
wood_newbie

Once again, I'm happy to be able to drive to Coastal Tool or Tools Plus in less than 30 minutes. ;^) Heck, at 15 miles, Coastal is a bicycle trip.

Hey, that might even be gloat-worthy!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I have owned some large heavy spindle sanders in my time. They are very nice to work with. Now that I am working at home I bought the Ridgid OSS which also uses a 4x24 belt and allows it to oscillate also. I think this machine is an excellent bargain. I paid $180 for it with a 10% discount at HD and I love it. Having owned the cast iron Powermatic /Jet one with the constant gear issues I think this is the way to go, max

Reply to
max

Please post a picture of you on your bike bringing home a large power tool from Coastal. :)

Dave

Reply to
David

Well, if that's a gloat for you, I guess the fact that I can WALK to Coastal in less than 15 minutes would be a major gloat for me (except that it means I live in the neighborhood I live in while you live in a nicer neighborhood a bit farther away).

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I second the recommendation for the Ridgid OSS. I got one using a Home Depot gift card I received and have been quite pleased. The ability to use it as a spindle sander or easily convert to a belt sander makes it quite a useful tool. I've had no desire to step up to a more expensive OSS since acquiring this tool.

Reply to
Mark Blum