Learning as I go

Well, I just found another benefit veneering can give to the novice. If you've screwed all the panels up to a fare-thee-well you can just sand the veneer off the carcass and start over.

Anyone need any burr elm powder?

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

Gotta good laugh out of that one. The whole veneering thing is something I have cast an eye on more than once, but there are only so many free hours. I have see some gorgeous work done with beautiful veneers, and and that has always intrigued me.

I picked up a primo Gast vacuum about a year ago that was supposed to power my vacuum experiments and my homebuilt vacuum chuck for my lathe. So far, I haven't done a damn thing on either project.

Did you build your own bags or buy them? There is a ton of info on veneering and I thought that craft would take off like a rocket, but even at our local Woodcraft the veneers have been relegated to a small corner of the store.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I haven't delved that deeply into it yet. I'm still at the contact- cement-with-a-home-made-caul-press-on-top stage. I'm still trying to get over the subtle but insidious feeling that veneering plywood or MDF is somehow "cheating" or creating an inferior project.

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

I haven't delved that deeply into it yet. I'm still at the contact- cement-with-a-home-made-caul-press-on-top stage. I'm still trying to get over the subtle but insidious feeling that veneering plywood or MDF is somehow "cheating" or creating an inferior project.

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

It may be "cheating" but it's surely not inferior. You're improving the look of plywood or MDF.

John E.

Reply to
John E.